First Order DE Problem: Self-Teaching Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses first order derivatives and the process of self-teaching them. The main focus is on solving the equation \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y(1-x^5y)}{x} through various steps and simplifying it to \frac{x}{y} = \frac{-x^6}{6} and \frac{1}{y} = \frac{-x^7}{6}. However, the accuracy of the solution is questioned and it is suggested to check by substituting the answer back into the original equation and adding an integration constant."
snowJT
I've been kind of self teaching myself first order derivities...

this is really my first shot at it.. want to know if this is right so far

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y(1-x^5y)}{x}[/tex]

[tex]xdx = y (1-x^5y)dx[/tex]

[tex]xdy = (1y-x^5y^2)dx[/tex]

[tex]xdy = ydx - x^5y^2dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac {xdy - ydx}{y^2} = \wr -x^5dx[/tex]

[tex]\wr d\frac{x}{y} = \wr -x^5dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x}{y} = \frac{-x^6}{6}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y} = \frac{-x^7}{6}[/tex]

does this look right so far? and how can I simplify it more?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can check by substituting your answer back into the original eq'n

snowJT said:
[tex]\frac{x}{y} = \frac{-x^6}{6}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y} = \frac{-x^7}{6}[/tex]

does this look right so far? and how can I simplify it more?

Check this part again. And put in some integration constant.

Daniel.

1. What is a first order differential equation (DE) problem?

A first order differential equation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function or curve that satisfies a given equation containing the first derivative of the function. In other words, it involves finding the function that describes the rate of change of a particular quantity.

2. What is the importance of self-teaching derivatives in solving DE problems?

Self-teaching derivatives refer to the process of learning and understanding the concept of derivatives without the help of a teacher or instructor. This is important in solving DE problems because it allows individuals to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved, which can then be applied to various types of DE problems.

3. What are some common techniques for solving first order DE problems?

Some common techniques for solving first order DE problems include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution methods. Each technique involves manipulating the given equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables, and then solving for the function that satisfies the equation.

4. How can one improve their skills in solving first order DE problems?

To improve skills in solving first order DE problems, one should practice regularly and familiarize themselves with different techniques and methods. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles, and to seek guidance from textbooks or online resources.

5. Can first order DE problems be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, first order DE problems have numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze real-life situations involving rates of change, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and heat transfer.