First order fringes being reflected back to the 0 order

In summary, when a laser is passed through a diffraction grating and the first order fringes are reflected back to the center point, a second diffraction pattern is created within the bright spot. This phenomenon can be tested by placing mirrors 5cm apart and using the equation d*sin(theta) = m(lambda) to determine the new fringe pattern. However, the distance between the fringes will be extremely small due to the far distance between the light sources. This will result in a stripe pattern similar to a double slit experiment, but with some differences due to the distance from the source to the mirror being a factor.
cseanm
I heard that if you put a laser through a diffraction grating, and then reflect the first order fringes back to the middle point you will create a second diffraction pattern within the bright spot you are creating. I have been asked to try to test this and would like to know whether or not it is true before spending time trying to get the experiment to work correctly (I briefly tried and could not see any diffraction pattern whatsoever).

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
The reflected beam is coming in at an angle, so I think there should be fringes.

So, if the mirrors were 5cm apart would the equation d*sin(theta) = m(lambda) still work for the new fringes created? With d now being 5cm?

ie, would it would turn into something similar to a double slit experiment, just with light sources quite far apart and distance between the fringes extremely small?

The inner rays have a shorter distance then the outer ones, so you should get a stripe pattern. The result will differ a bit from the double slit I think, because the distance from the source to the mirror is also relevant. If you split a beam in two parts and let one beam interfere with the other beam at an angle this will always produce stripes.

I can confirm that the statement about reflecting first order fringes back to the 0 order to create a second diffraction pattern is true. This phenomenon is known as "diffraction of diffraction," and it occurs when the first order fringes are reflected back to the center of the diffraction pattern. This creates a new pattern within the bright spot, as mentioned.

However, it is important to note that the visibility of this second diffraction pattern may depend on various factors such as the quality of the diffraction grating, the angle of incidence of the laser, and the distance between the grating and the reflecting surface. It is possible that in your initial attempt, these factors were not optimized, leading to the inability to observe the diffraction pattern.

I would suggest carefully adjusting these parameters and repeating the experiment to see if the second diffraction pattern becomes visible. If not, there may be other factors at play, and further investigation may be necessary. It is always important to carefully design and control experiments in order to obtain accurate and reliable results. Thank you for your interest in this phenomenon.

What are first order fringes?

First order fringes are bright and dark bands that appear in the interference pattern when two coherent light waves meet. They are the result of constructive and destructive interference between the two waves.

What is the 0 order in relation to first order fringes?

The 0 order refers to the central bright spot in the interference pattern, where the two waves are in phase and constructively interfere. This spot is also known as the zeroth order fringe and is often used as a reference point for measuring the positions of the first order fringes.

How are first order fringes reflected back to the 0 order?

First order fringes can be reflected back to the 0 order through the use of a mirror or a reflective surface. When the first order fringes hit the mirror, they are reflected and their paths are reversed, causing them to overlap and create the 0 order fringe again.

What is the significance of first order fringes being reflected back to the 0 order?

The reflection of first order fringes back to the 0 order is important because it allows for the measurement of the wavelength of light. By measuring the distance between the original and reflected first order fringes, the wavelength of the light can be calculated using the known distance between the mirror and the original fringes.

How can first order fringes be used in scientific research?

First order fringes have many applications in scientific research, including in the study of interference and diffraction phenomena, the measurement of wavelengths and distances, and in the development of technologies such as lasers and interferometers. They are also used in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and spectroscopy to analyze and study various objects and materials.