1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order Linear Homogeneous Equation

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    First Order Linear Non-Homogeneous Equation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to solve for e(t)

2. Relevant equations

Do I use Laplace Transform for the last integral?

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]
    \begin{subequations}
    \begin{eqnarray}
    \nonumber
    \dot{\hat{{\cal E}}}(t) &=& -\kappa \hat{{\cal E}}(t) + \sqrt{2\kappa}\, \hat{{\cal E}}_{in}(t), \\

\end{eqnarray}
    \end{subequations}

\begin{subequations}
    \begin{eqnarray}
    \dot{\hat{{\cal E}}} &=& -\kappa \hat{{\cal E}} + \sqrt{2\kappa}\, \hat{{\cal E}}_{in}, \\
    \nonumber
    I &=& e^{\int \kappa dt} =ce^{\kappa t}\\
    \nonumber
    ce^{\kappa t}\dot{\hat{{\cal E}}} + ce^{\kappa t}\kappa \hat{{\cal E}} &=& ce^{\kappa t} \sqrt{2\kappa}\, \hat{{\cal E}}_{in}, \\
    \nonumber
    \frac{d}{dt}(\hat{{\cal E}}e^{ \kappa t}) &=& ce^{\kappa t} \sqrt{2\kappa}\, \hat{{\cal E}}_{in}\\
    \nonumber
    \hat{{\cal E}}e^{ \kappa t} &=& \int^{\infty}_{0}ce^{\kappa t} \sqrt{2\kappa}\, \hat{{\cal E}}_{in}(t)dt\\
    \nonumber
    \nonumber
    \end{eqnarray}
    \end{subequations}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    [tex]
    \dot{y}(t) = -\kappa y(t) + \sqrt{2\kappa} x_{in}(t)
    [/tex]
    If that notation helps.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    The method I wrote above is wrong. From what I remember, your supposed to find the complementary solution and the particular solution yc, yp.

For the yp, your supposed to choose a form so as to solve for yp but x_{in} is some arbitrary function. What do I do?

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would help a lot if you didn't assume people will understand what problem you are doing. Is [itex]\epsilon_{in}[/itex] a given function and not dependent on [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

Assuming that it is, you are essentially using "variation of parameters".
    The homogeneous equation is [itex]\epsilon'= -\kappa\epsilon[/itex] which should be easy to solve.

Now assume a solution of the form [itex]\epsilon(t)= u(t)Y(t)[/itex] where "Y(t)" is the solution to the homogeneous equation. The [itex]\epsilon'= u'Y+ uY'[/itex] and so the equation becomes [itex]u'Y+ uY'= u(-\kappa Y)+ \sqrt{2\kappa}\epsilon_{in}[/itex].

Since Y is a solution to the homogeneous equation, [itex]Y'= -\kappa Y[/itex], [itex]uY'= u(-\kappa Y)[/itex] so we can cancel those and have [itex]u' Y= \sqrt{2\kappa}\epsilon_{in}[/itex] remaining. Since both Y and [itex]\epsilon_{in}[/itex] are known functions, that's just an integration,
    [tex]u(t)= \int_0^t \frac{\sqrt{2\kappa}\epsilon_{in}(\tau)}{Y(\tau)} d\tau[/itex]

That is almost what you have. But note that the integral is NOT a definite integral from 0 to infinity. It is from 0 to t (actually, you could use any lower limit- that just changes the constant of integration) and notice that I have changed the "dummy" variable inside the integral to [itex]\tau[/itex] so as not to confuse it with t.

Instead of what you have you should have
    [tex]e^{-\kappa t}u(t)= e^{\kappa t}\int_0^t e^{\kappa\tau}\epsilon_{in}(\tau)dt[/tex]
    is a specific solution, to be added to [itex]Ce^{-\kapa t}[/itex], the general solution to the homogeneous equation. Note that changing the variable inside the integral makes it clear that you cannot cancel the two exponentials!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    Where is the sqrt(2k)? I think my approach is correct except the limits on the integral.
    I didn't realize I was doing variation of parameters.

Then how do you solve that last integraL?

[tex]
    \epsilon(t)= e^{-\kappa t}\int_0^t \sqrt{2\kappa}e^{\kappa\tau}\epsilon_{in}(\tau)dt = e^{-\kappa t} \sqrt{2\kappa}e^{\kappa\tau}\epsilon_{in}(\tau)t
    [/tex]

?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. Dec 12, 2008 #6
    Or is that not right?

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7
    Why did you use tau?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?