First-Order Principles of Classical Mechanics

• Thread starter MJay82
  • Start date
MJay82
My Physics teacher yesterday said something that gave me pause. He was talking about the necessity of clearly understanding the first-order principles of the science we study.

Last semester I took Classical Mechanics (part 1 of the Introduction to Calculus-Based Physics at my college) with a teacher who didn't stress first-order principles. He did derive formulas, but then quickly expected us to apply the derivations without giving additional thought to the first-order principles.

Could someone direct me toward a book or link that really gets into the principles behind the formulas for classical mechanics? I really want to build a strong foundation before I continue on in my study of physics.

Thanks for any help!
Michael J

Answers and Replies

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What you mean by first order principles? You mean the axioms of classical mechanics? Basically Newton's Laws are the axioms. In classical mechanics many principles like conservation of (linear or angular) momentum or conservation of mechanical energy or the work-energy(potential or kinetic) theorem can be derived from Newton Laws.

MJay82
Okay - that makes a lot of sense to start with Newton's laws - thanks. Also, deriving velocity and acceleration kinematic formulas - but that seems easier. Thanks - I'll start looking at the rest of the course material by thinking about different ways to express Newton's laws.

Suggested for: First-Order Principles of Classical Mechanics

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views