First order term in the taylor expansion of ln(x) abut 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


What's the first order term in the expansion ln(x) about x = 1?

Homework Equations


Taylor series formula

The Attempt at a Solution


The question is multiple choice, and the choices are x, 2x, or (1/2)x. However, when I calculate the first order term in the expansion of ln(x) about 1, I get ln(1) + (1/1)(x - 1) = x - 1, which is not one of the options. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement


What's the first order term in the expansion ln(x) about x = 1?

Homework Equations


Taylor series formula

The Attempt at a Solution


The question is multiple choice, and the choices are x, 2x, or (1/2)x. However, when I calculate the first order term in the expansion of ln(x) about 1, I get ln(1) + (1/1)(x - 1) = x - 1, which is not one of the options. What am I doing wrong?
So, what's the first order term in x - 1 ?
 
x... But how is that the answer if x - 1 is the first order term in the Taylor approximation?
 
Mr Davis 97 said:
The question is multiple choice, and the choices are x, 2x, or (1/2)x. However, when I calculate the first order term in the expansion of ln(x) about 1, I get ln(1) + (1/1)(x - 1) = x - 1, which is not one of the options. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing. The problem statement is wrong or, at best, misleading. My guess is the intent was to ask what the linear term of ln(1+x) about x=0 is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS