1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient for a Term in a Taylor Expansion for Cosine

1. Jan 15, 2017 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The coefficient of the term (x−π)2 in the Taylor expansion for f(x)=cos(x) about x=π is:

2. Relevant equations
    ##cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} - \frac{x^6}{6!} + \frac{x^8}{8!}...##

3. The attempt at a solution

Unless my taylor series for cosine is incorrect, I'm not seeing any (x-π)2 term. What am I missing here? I see that the 2nd term is a squared term and that the coefficient is -1. Is that the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to apply the correct definition of a Taylor series. You are using the Maclaurin expansion, not the Taylor expansion.

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3

Drakkith

I see. Do you have a good reference that has the correct series? Everything I've found so far has the taylor series for cosine exactly as I have it. Very frustrating. :H

5. Jan 15, 2017 #4

fresh_42

6. Jan 15, 2017 #5

Drakkith

Thanks Fresh. I usually avoid wikipedia when doing homework as I rarely find it helpful, but it appears this time I was incorrect.

7. Jan 15, 2017 #6

fresh_42

They are usually quite correct in the definition section and fast to look up. I mostly look it up in two languages, as it's not a 1:1 translation.

8. Jan 15, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Okay, wiki's definition with a = π:
    ##F(π) + \frac{F'(π)}{1!}(x-π) + \frac{F''(π)}{2!}(x-π)^2 + \frac{F'''(π)}{3!}(x-π)^3 + ...##

The first few derivatives of cos(x) are:
    ##F(x) = cos(x)##
    ##F'(x) = -sin(x)##
    ##F''(x) = -cos(x)##
    ##F'''(x) = sin(x)##

So that would be:
    ##cos(π) - sin(π)(x-π) - \frac{cos(π)}{2}(x-π)^2 + \frac{sin(π)}{6}(x-π)^3 + ...##

or

##-1 - 0 - \frac{1}{2}(x-π)^2 + 0 + ...##

So the coefficient would be -1/2.

9. Jan 15, 2017 #8

fresh_42

I haven't done it, but something like this, yes. Maybe you'll have to take a few terms more, as they all include lower powers of ##x##.

10. Jan 15, 2017 #9

Mark44

As already mentioned what you have is the Maclaurin series for the cosine function. A Maclaurin series is a series in powers of x (or powers of (x - 0)). A Taylor's series is one that is in powers of x - a. A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor's series.

Your textbook should have definitions of both types of series.

11. Jan 15, 2017 #10

Drakkith

Unfortunately I don't have my old textbook with me, so I can't look it up, and I didn't look at what the homework would be over before I left my house. I've had a really bad start to the semester thanks to some sleep issues and I'm still trying to get everything together and planned out.

Thanks guys.

12. Jan 16, 2017 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you have already solved the problem I guess it is OK to now point out that we can write ##\cos(x) = -\cos(y)##, where ##y = \pi - x##; that is a standard trigonometric identity (and is obvious geometrically). When ##x## is near ##\pi##, ##y## is near 0, expanding in powers of ##y## makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted