1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs First PhD Interview - What to expect?

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    Hey guys, I have my first PhD interview (Astronomical Instrumentation) next week and was wondering what to expect.

Its part of an open day but I have a specific invite and they mention a formal interview...

Should I revise some physics equations or is it more like a job interview where there interested in my personality instead?

cheers for any advice

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    The interviews I went to were a bit of both, though it's unlikely they'll actually ask anything as specific equations etc: the fact that you have a degree shows you're capable of working. They might ask about the subjects that interested you during your undergraduate degree, and will likely ask you to explain why you're interested in the PhD programme you're applying to.

Essentially, it's important to have the reason that you're actually there set in your mind. Also understand what makes you a good selection. I would make yourself a list of skills you think are relevant to both this subject and PhD programmes in general: then find a way to demonstrate competency in each of these.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Cheers ftj, that is killer advice!

Its on tuesday so i better get thinking over the weekend!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook