Fision products, the W coincidence

In summary, L3 and OPAL saw a massive charged scalar boson around 70 or 75 GeV. It took a lot of analysis to clear it out, but it was present before the 115 one.
arivero
Gold Member
Time ago I went to the NUDAT database to plot the number of known beta decays for each mass number; this is expected to reproduce the double peak curve of uranium decay, because of course more research have been done in the subproducts of this decay and then more excited, beta decaying, states are known. But I wonder if it could be argued in the contrary way: than the uranium decays into these peaks because the nuclei in the area have more excited states available, thus more phase space to decay into.

Attached you can see the plot first as as a curve/density plot in the (Z,N) plane, and as a histogram in the mass number A=Z+N.

Attachments

• NZ.jpg
    NZ.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 658
  • bhist.jpg
    bhist.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
arivero said:
Time ago I went to the NUDAT database to plot the number of known beta decays for each mass number; this is expected to reproduce the double peak curve of uranium decay, because of course more research have been done in the subproducts of this decay and then more excited, beta decaying, states are known. But I wonder if it could be argued in the contrary way: than the uranium decays into these peaks because the nuclei in the area have more excited states available, thus more phase space to decay into.

Attached you can see the plot first as as a curve/density plot in the (Z,N) plane, and as a histogram in the mass number A=Z+N.

Hi Alex,

Tell me, when did L3 and OPAL see a massive charged scalar boson in that range? I saw this note in the histogram, around 70 or 75 GeV, and I was wondering because I had not heard of one since the unconfirmed LEP find in 2001 (which was at much higher mass anyway, closer to 100 GeV). Furthurmore, does the amplitude of beta decay die off near or around the start of the alpha decay dripline? I am not so much into atomic/nuclear physics as I am into nuclear/high-energy physics, so I am not quite as familiar with this, but I do remember your past paper on the nuclear dripline coincidences regarding boson masses. That was quite a few years ago.

Regards,
Patrick

mormonator_rm said:
Hi Alex,

Tell me, when did L3 and OPAL see a massive charged scalar boson in that range?
let me check: it is somewhere here

hep-ex/9909044, hep-ex/0009010, hep-ex/0105057

specially in the later. Thus before the 115 one. It took a good bunck of remix and analysis to clear it out, and yet it causes a small hole in the plots for 95% confidence level.

And yep, you have got good memory, I mentioned it in my puzzle of the driplines. Lubos argued against, on very reasonable theoretical grounds, I think to remember. But anyway, I was just reporting data. Amusing data.

Last edited:

What are Fision products?

Fision products are a type of nuclear reaction that occurs when an atom is split into two or more smaller atoms, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

How does the W coincidence work in Fision reactions?

The W coincidence refers to the simultaneous release of two photons during a Fision reaction. These photons are released in opposite directions and have equal energy, making the reaction more efficient.

What are some common uses for Fision products?

Fision products are primarily used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity. They are also used in nuclear weapons and in medical treatments, such as cancer therapy.

What are the potential dangers of Fision reactions?

The main danger of Fision reactions is the release of large amounts of radiation, which can be harmful to living organisms. If not properly contained and controlled, Fision reactions can also lead to nuclear accidents and disasters.

What is the future of Fision products?

Fision products will continue to be a major source of energy, but there is also ongoing research and development to improve safety measures and find more efficient ways to use Fision reactions for energy production.