Fix MATLAB Code Error: Input Argument "S" is Undefined

In summary, the MATLAB code is producing an error due to an undefined input argument "S". The code also appears to be calling the function from within itself, which may be causing further issues. The variables "E" and "lambda" are not defined within the function.
plexus0208
I get the following error with my MATLAB code. Can anyone help me fix it? I don't see what is wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------

? Input argument "S" is undefined.

Error in ==> RCPrototype at 11
Wpay = Tmax/((CDA0/S)/CL + cd/CL + CL/(pi*AR)) - Wfuse;

-----------------------------------------------------------------

MATLAB CODE:

function [WpayMax, constraint] = RCPrototype(AR, S, lambda)

Wfuse = 2.5;
Tmax = 0.70;
CDA0 = 0.004;
cd = 0.028;
CL = 1.0;
tau = 0.11;
eps = 0.03;

Wpay = Tmax/((CDA0/S)/CL + cd/CL + CL/(pi*AR)) - Wfuse;
WpayMax = max(abs(Wpay));
constraint = 0.018*((Wfuse + Wpay)/(E*tau*(tau^2+eps^2)))*(1+lambda)^3*(1+2*lambda)*(AR^3);

[WpayMax, constraint] = RCPrototype(0.5,0.5,0.5);

end

Physics news on Phys.org
has S been defined prior to calling the function?? if not, then it isn't defined within the function itself.

Try calling the function from another M-file. I'm guessing you're trying to directly run the function file.

Also, what are "E" and "lambda" defined as in your function?

You're calling the function from within the function:

Code:
constraint = 0.018*((Wfuse + Wpay ...

[B][WpayMax, constraint] = RCPrototype(0.5,0.5,0.5);[/B]

end

You need to put that outside the function body.

The error message indicates that the input argument "S" is not defined in the code. This means that the variable "S" has not been assigned a value or it is not declared in the code. To fix this error, you need to make sure that the variable "S" is defined and assigned a value before it is used in the calculations. You can also check if the variable name is spelled correctly and if it is used in the correct context. Once the variable "S" is properly defined, the code should run without any errors.

Related to Fix MATLAB Code Error: Input Argument "S" is Undefined

1. What does the error message "Input Argument "S" is Undefined" mean in MATLAB?

The error message "Input Argument "S" is Undefined" means that the variable "S" has not been defined or assigned a value in the code. This can happen if the variable is misspelled, or if it is not initialized before being used in the code.

2. How can I fix the "Input Argument "S" is Undefined" error in MATLAB?

To fix this error, you need to identify where the variable "S" is being used in the code and make sure it is properly defined or initialized before being used. This can involve checking for spelling errors, making sure the variable is assigned a value, or declaring it as a global variable if necessary.

3. Why am I getting the error message "Input Argument "S" is Undefined" when I have defined the variable in my code?

This error can also occur if the variable "S" is defined in a different function or script and is not accessible in the current scope. In this case, you can use the "global" keyword to make the variable accessible in your code, or you can pass the variable as an input argument to the function or script where it is needed.

4. Is there a way to prevent the "Input Argument "S" is Undefined" error in MATLAB?

To prevent this error, it is important to initialize and define all variables used in your code before using them. It can also be helpful to use meaningful and consistent variable names to avoid misspelling errors. Additionally, using debugging tools in MATLAB can help identify and fix any potential errors in your code.

5. Can I ignore the "Input Argument "S" is Undefined" error in MATLAB?

While it is possible to ignore this error, it is not recommended as it can lead to unexpected results or errors later in the code. It is best to address and fix the error to ensure the code runs correctly and produces the desired output.