Fixed action patterns Qand hopefully A.

• Thread starter Winner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary, Nestling starlings are more likely to orient towards an eliciting stimulus that is higher rather than lower and closer rather than farther away.
Winner
Hey people :rofl: ,

I have a question.

Here is the Q:

Question 3: (4 points)

Many baby birds have specific feeding responses that are fixed action patterns elicited by a particular sign stimulus. Nestling starlings are more likely to make a fixed action pattern orienting response to an eliciting stimulus that is higher rather than lower and closer rather than farther away. One way that this can be demonstrated is to hold two thin rods near a nestling starling's head and record which rod the nestling orients towards.

Below are two side views of how you might hold the two rods near a nestling starling's head. In the space below, indicate for both conditions (i.e., A and B) which rod (i.e., 1 or 2) the nestling starling would most likely orient towards and why. Also, which rod position (i.e., A1, A2, B1, or B2) do you think would elicit the strongest fixed action pattern and why? Hint: consider supernormal stimuli.

Well here's my take on it.

in B, the answer is obvious it's 1, because the stimulus is higher and closer than 2.

But in A, it's a bit ambiguous because the question I don't think tells you which state of the stimulus, either closer or higher is more preferred. If I had to chose, I'd pick 1 because the bird obviously doesn't peck downwards for food, and food usu comes from above. :cool:

Thanks for any help!

image is attached.

Attachments

• gullpeck.jpg
    gullpeck.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
nobody eh?

Winner said:
Hey people :rofl: ,

I have a question.

Here is the Q:

Question 3: (4 points)

Many baby birds have specific feeding responses that are fixed action patterns elicited by a particular sign stimulus. Nestling starlings are more likely to make a fixed action pattern orienting response to an eliciting stimulus that is higher rather than lower and closer rather than farther away. One way that this can be demonstrated is to hold two thin rods near a nestling starling's head and record which rod the nestling orients towards.

Below are two side views of how you might hold the two rods near a nestling starling's head. In the space below, indicate for both conditions (i.e., A and B) which rod (i.e., 1 or 2) the nestling starling would most likely orient towards and why. Also, which rod position (i.e., A1, A2, B1, or B2) do you think would elicit the strongest fixed action pattern and why? Hint: consider supernormal stimuli.

Well here's my take on it.

in B, the answer is obvious it's 1, because the stimulus is higher and closer than 2.

But in A, it's a bit ambiguous because the question I don't think tells you which state of the stimulus, either closer or higher is more preferred. If I had to chose, I'd pick 1 because the bird obviously doesn't peck downwards for food, and food usu comes from above. :cool:

Thanks for any help!

image is attached.

As you aren't told whether height has great impact than distance, I guess for A it would help to know what the supernormal stimulus is (which I suppose implies somthing that starlings are sensitive to that humans aren't). This will help answer the final part of the question too.

ok,

definition of supernormal stimulus

Supernormal stimulus: A stimulus that produces a more vigorous response than the normal stimulus eliciting that particular response. For example, a female herring gull will brood a giant egg in preference to its own eggs, which are smaller. A supernormal stimulus is an exaggerated sign stimulus.

I guess in this case both rods are supernormal because both are more narrow than a real beak and is an exaggeration of sign stimulus. But as to which is preferred I STILL don't know... :frown:

I'll accept anything, no really. :(

Then accept the wise adage: never work with children or animals.

What are fixed action patterns?

Fixed action patterns are a series of innate, pre-programmed behaviors exhibited by animals in response to certain stimuli. They are often referred to as "instinctual" behaviors.

What triggers fixed action patterns?

Fixed action patterns are triggered by specific stimuli, known as "sign stimuli" or "releasers". These stimuli can be visual, auditory, or chemical cues that prompt the animal to perform a specific behavior.

How do fixed action patterns differ from learned behaviors?

Fixed action patterns are genetically determined and do not require any learning or experience. In contrast, learned behaviors are acquired through experience and can be modified or altered based on environmental factors.

What is the purpose of fixed action patterns?

Fixed action patterns serve an important purpose in survival and reproduction for animals. They are often related to finding food, avoiding predators, and attracting mates.

Can fixed action patterns be modified?

Fixed action patterns are typically inflexible and cannot be modified or altered once they are triggered. However, some research suggests that under certain circumstances, they can be modified through experience or environmental changes.