Physics Major's Questions on Geodesics

In summary, the creature on a one-dimensional line sees everything on the line, but if the line has a positive curvature, the creature can see beyond itself.
ArielGenesis
I am sorry with the bad title and I am physics major with very weak math. So I come to the forum to rescue me.

Basically I have one question, what does a "point-like creature" on a one dimensional line "sees" on different geodesics?

if the line is flat, then the creature can sees everything on the line, right?

If the line has a positive curvature, can the creature sees anything beyond itself? I mean we can see the horizon because we have non-zero height, as we get shorter, the horizon gets smaller and if we have zero height, then the horizon would suddenly collapse to just the immediate proximity. am I right, but these seems strange.

More over I want to confirm one thing. A positive geodesic is essentially a negative geodesic if it does not matter on which side of the line the creature is. Then my point would be, does which side of the line matters?

Can such creature see beyond the (a kink) non-differentiable parts of the line?

Last but not least, sooner or later I will study Special Relativity and General Relativity where geodesic become a main topic. I just want to have a good intuition about the nature of space and dimension before coming to class.

Thank You,
Regards,
A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are imagining a one-dimensional creature on a circle, what are you imagining about its sight? Does light move in a straight line or around its circle? That's pretty much up to you- it your imagination!

It's usually understood to mean the creature can see anything it has line-of-sight to.

In a flat 1D world, a creature on a line would be able to see the next closest object to it on the line.

In a circular 1D world, the creature would be able to see the next closet object too... unless it's the ONLY object in the world. Then it would see itself. No height required. It's line-of-sight is from one end of the creature, all the way around the circle, and back to its butt.

I don't think in 1D space it matters whether a space is positively or negatively curved. There's only so much you can do with 1D space. It's a line. Or it's a circle. Or it's a disjoint combination of those two. Once you move up to 2D and above, you have angles to work with, and there's a lot more variety.

so, combining the two response, the light curve and follow the geodesic? (I mean how would it is understood so as to be able to be applied to GR and SR )

how about if there is a kink in the circle?

thank you.

FAQ: Physics Major's Questions on Geodesics

1. What is a geodesic and how does it relate to physics?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. In physics, geodesics are important because they describe the paths that objects follow in the presence of curved spacetime, as predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What are some real-world applications of geodesics in physics?

Geodesics have many practical applications in physics, including predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space, designing efficient flight paths for aircraft, and understanding the behavior of light in gravitational fields.

3. How are geodesics calculated and represented in physics?

In physics, geodesics are calculated using mathematical equations derived from the principles of differential geometry. They can be represented graphically using curved lines or surfaces to show the shortest path between two points on a curved surface.

4. Can geodesics exist in a flat, Euclidean space?

No, geodesics only exist on curved surfaces or in curved spacetime. In a flat, Euclidean space, the shortest path between two points is always a straight line. However, in the presence of gravity, spacetime is curved and geodesics are no longer straight lines.

5. How do geodesics play a role in our understanding of the universe?

Geodesics are a fundamental concept in understanding the structure of the universe. They help us explain the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies, as well as the bending of light around massive objects. Geodesic equations also play a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is the foundation of our current understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.