Flaw in my proof of something impossible

You're not one of them. :-)In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of injective functions and the proof of their property. Despite providing a counterexample, it is proven that a function must be one-to-one even if it is not initially assumed to be so. However, the conclusion reached in the proof is determined to be incorrect and the need for careful consideration when making assumptions is emphasized.
Buffu
Given :- $$g(f(x_1)) = g(f(x_2)) \implies x_1 = x_2$$

Question :- Check whether ##g(x)## is injective or not.

Now this is of-course false; counter examples are easy to provide. But I proved that ##g(x)## must be one-one even after knowing the fact it must not.

Here is the proof :-

Let ##g(x)## be many-one
let ##f(x_1) = y_1## and ##f(x_2) = y_2##
Now,
##g(y_1) = g(y_2) \implies y_1 \ne y_2## for some ##y_1, y_2##
##y_1 \ne y_2 \implies f(x_1) \ne f(x_2) \implies x_1 \ne x_2##

Putting all together, we get,
##g(f(x_1)) = g(f(x_2)) \implies x_1 \ne x_2##

Which is contradictory to the given statement. So by proof of contradiction, we conclude that ##g(x)## is one-one under the given condition.
Which of my statement(s) are false ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
Given :- $$g(f(x_1)) = g(f(x_2)) \implies x_1 = x_2$$

Question :- Check whether ##g(x)## is injective or not.

Now this is of-course false; counter examples are easy to provide. But I proved that ##g(x)## must be one-one even after knowing the fact it must not.

Here is the proof :-

Let ##g(x)## be many-one
Now,
##y_1 \ne y_2 \implies f(x_1) \ne f(x_2) \implies x_1 \ne x_2##

Putting all together, we get,

Which is contradictory to the given statement. So by proof of contribution, we conclude that ##g(x)## is one-one under the given condition.
Which of my statement(s) are false ?:frown::frown::headbang::headbang:

Leaving aside your proof, the conclusion you reach is absurd:

Let ##x_1 = x_2 = a##

Then ##g(f(x_1)) = g(f(a)) = g(f(x_2))##

Buffu said:
Now,
Those "some y1,2" don't have to have corresponding x1,2, you are reversing the logic of choosing them.

Let g be an arbitrary non-injective function R->R and f be a function {0}->{0} with (obviously) f(0)=0. See if your proof works. ##g(f(x_1)) = g(f(x_2)) \implies x_1 = x_2## is true.

Buffu said:
##f(x_1) \ne f(x_2) \implies x_1 \ne x_2##

How do you justify that implication? Is ##f## given to be 1-to-1 ?

PeroK said:
the conclusion you reach is absurd
Thanks for help. I am certain that I am the only one that commit such blunders.
Stephen Tashi said:
How do you justify that implication? Is fff given to be 1-to-1 ?
Yes, that was a bad idea. Sorry for wasting your time by posting this silly question. I will consider twice before posting any question now on.

Buffu said:
Thanks for help. I am certain that I am the only one that commit such blunders.
No you're not. If you were, this forum would not exist :)

Yes, that was a bad idea. Sorry for wasting your time by posting this silly question. I will consider twice before posting any question now on.
Don't worry. You learned something, and that's what this forum is for. You have nothing to be ashamed of. The big problem is all those people who don't understand math and don't care either.

Likes Buffu

1. What is a flaw in a proof of something impossible?

A flaw in a proof of something impossible is an error or mistake that renders the proof invalid. It means that the proof does not provide sufficient evidence or logical reasoning to support the claim that something impossible can actually happen.

2. How can a flaw in a proof of something impossible be identified?

A flaw in a proof of something impossible can be identified by carefully examining the assumptions, logic, and evidence presented in the proof. It is important to critically analyze each step and look for any inconsistencies or errors that may invalidate the proof.

3. What are some common types of flaws in proofs of something impossible?

Some common types of flaws in proofs of something impossible include circular reasoning, false assumptions, and logical fallacies. These can lead to incorrect conclusions and make the proof unreliable.

4. Why is it important to identify flaws in proofs of something impossible?

Identifying flaws in proofs of something impossible is important because it helps to prevent false or misleading information from being accepted as truth. It also encourages critical thinking and promotes the pursuit of more accurate and reliable proofs.

5. How can a flaw in a proof of something impossible be corrected?

A flaw in a proof of something impossible can be corrected by identifying the specific error or mistake and addressing it with a logical and evidence-based argument. This may involve reexamining assumptions, providing additional evidence, or making adjustments to the logic of the proof.