Exploring Flight Dynamics: Physics & Math for a Flight Simulator

In summary: Of course the asymmetrical airfoil can generate also the lift force, but then the horizontal tail can be smaller, which is also cost efficient. The diagram is just to give the idea and it's not in scale.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of flight formulas and forces that affect planes in flight. The main question is about what formulas are needed for a flight simulator and how the different forces and torques work together to maintain stability in flight. The conversation also touches on the concept of the center of gravity and its importance in maintaining stability. Resources and links are provided for further information on aerodynamics and aircraft stability.
Vok5
Hello !

I'm a Computer Science student and I'm working on a flight simulator. I know that there's a Computer Science section but my question is more about flight formulas. I have good bases in mathematics but in physics, it's completely different. I would like to know what formulas affect planes in flight and which forces affect planes in flight.

Thank you. :smile:

Sorry if my English is not excellent, it's my second language.

Science news on Phys.org
Hi

I'm a new in this forum too.

I'm an old flight-sim fart who started own 'open source flight-sim' hobby project basically just to refresh the math & physics skills, before the the “Dad! Please, could you help me a bit with THIS?!” time is in the hand.
”Ehh... Ohhh... Sure...Son.”

Vok5,
You can find a lot about the basics and whole lot more with google by yourself.

You will find a many pages about the 'Basic four forces: Lift, Weight, Thrust & Drag' but this is simplifying the problem of the flying way too much (imho). These forces can calculate nicely individually, but you won't get a point of flying ONLY from those.

You must add the Torque/Moment element to be able to fly in controllable manner:
http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&c...=result&cd=1&q=longitudinal+stability&spell=1

The forum search seems to also give many hits with 'aerodynamics' word:
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1524259

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answer.

I searched on Google but I didn't really understand formulas that I found. I'll dig more deeply about Torque/Moment element. With some help from my teacher, I'll probably be able to create something good :smile:.

Drag=1/2(v^2)(A)(C)(P)
p=air denstiy
A=cross sectional area
C= drag coeffiecient anywhere from (.25)-(.45)
v=velocity

Likes Eileen
Hi Vok5

The traditional designed airplane moment principal is like old fashion hook counter-weight balance measure.
The plane must be able to carry the support point from where it's hanging.

Just an idea picture
http://fdm4bge.1g.fi/Files/10001/apics/ac_moments.jpg

The 'Wing Lift' must counter the 'Plane weight + Tail Lift' load, but same time the 'Plane weight' caused moment must be countered by 'Tail Lift'*tail_arm moment load, for the level flight.

The center of gravity is normally in front of the center of lift (or else the aircraft is computer assisted) for stability. In the diagram above, the plane would pitch up unless the tail were generating positive (+) lift.

Jeff Reid said:
The center of gravity is normally in front of the center of lift (or else the aircraft is computer assisted) for stability. In the diagram above, the plane would pitch up unless the tail were generating positive (+) lift.

Hi

I assume you are preferring with center of lift a wing center of lift only. This is incorrect, because we are looking how traditional airplane wing and tail are working together.

The Lift is acting from Neutral Point (NP) and that's the reason why plane in diagram is flying with negative tail lift.

More about Stability Concepts
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/index5.htm

Aircraft Center of Gravity Calculator
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

Xjazz said:
I assume you are preferring with center of lift a wing center of lift only.
I meant the center of lift for the entire aircraft. The first website you linked to above includes this picture:

np.gif

The neutral point is the where the center of gravity needs to be located so that an aircraft has zero pitch stability (not positive or negative). The center of lift can be considered the vector sum of all aerodynamic forces on an aircraft. For a symmetrical airfoil (no pitching moment), they're effectively the same. If the airfoil is cambered, then they are slightly apart; the neutral point is further back for a wing with positive camber because of the pitch down aerodynamic torque.

You're diagram is a bit confusing because it appears to depict a symmetrical airfoil, no pitching moment (aerodynamic torque), and the center of lift for the entire aircraft and neutral point should be the same, so it appears you show the neutral point too far aft of where it should be. Without a pitching moment, then with the center of gravity and the tail's negative lift both being behind the center of lift for the main wing, the result should be a pitch up (clockwise) torque.

Vok5 said:
formulas affect planes in flight and which forces affect planes in flight.
As mentioned above, you have linear forces (lift, weight, thrust, drag) and angular torques (pitch, roll, yaw). The comment about moment above was about pitch stability, which occurs when an aircraft self corrects to level flight at a specific speed without any control movments. The math of aerodynamics is very complex. There are programs, like xfoil, that can calculate airfoil parameters. How complicated do you want your flight simulator to get? The best consumer flight simulators seem to be the radio control model simulators, such as RealFlight. I don't know how accurate the modelling is in programs like FSX.

Last edited:
In practice the CG must be front of NP(lift), just like in your linked picture left side plane.

“For an aircraft to be stable in pitch, its CG must be forward of the Neutral Point NP by a safety factor called the Static Margin, which is a percentage of the MAC (Mean Aerodynamic Chord). Static Margin should be between 5% and 15% for a good stability.”

The professional pilots need to pay a lot of attention to ensure the CG location will stay within specification, while loading the plane with fuel, cargo & passengers.

The diagram is simplified in purpose, because the idea is to present how the tail force is countering the weight caused nose down moment. The use of symmetrical or asymmetrical airfoil won't change this concept.

1. What is flight dynamics?

Flight dynamics refers to the physics and mathematics behind the motion and behavior of an aircraft in flight. It involves understanding the forces and moments acting on an aircraft and how they affect its flight path and stability.

2. Why is flight dynamics important for a flight simulator?

Flight dynamics is crucial for a flight simulator because it allows for a realistic and accurate simulation of an aircraft's behavior and performance. Without an understanding of flight dynamics, the simulation would not accurately reflect real-world flying conditions.

3. What are the main principles of flight dynamics?

The main principles of flight dynamics include Newton's Laws of Motion, aerodynamics, and aircraft stability and control. These principles help explain the forces and moments acting on an aircraft and how they affect its flight.

4. What role does math play in flight dynamics?

Math is essential in flight dynamics as it allows for the precise calculation and prediction of an aircraft's flight behavior. It is used to model and analyze the forces and moments acting on an aircraft and their effects on its flight path and stability.

5. How can I apply flight dynamics in a flight simulator?

To apply flight dynamics in a flight simulator, you will need to have a basic understanding of the principles involved and use appropriate mathematical models and equations. You can also adjust the simulation settings to reflect different flight conditions and scenarios to further explore and understand flight dynamics.