Flip Flops and clocks with multisim

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clocks
In summary, a clock is needed in Multisim to move data. The clock source can be found in the component database.
ranger
Gold Member
Hey all,

I'm trying to build a circuit using flip flops that passes data in series using multisim. My problem is with the clock. I know that data isn't moved until a clock pluse comes along. My problem is that what exactly is the source of this (clock) pulse. Could it be a voltage source and a switch, opening and closing the switch causes the square wave? If not, how do I put a clock in multisim and in a real circuit?

I ask this because the schematics I've been looking at only shows the clock as square waves or coming straight from something that says "clock".

--thank you:smile:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with MultiSim, but in MicroCAP and most other SPICE based packages, you would put down a Voltage Source, and set its parameters for the clock frequency and voltage levels. Does that work for you?

Umm...now that you mention frequency (which I had completely ignored before), I did some more searches in multisim's component database. I think I may have found something. It looks like a AC source but instead of the sine wave, it has square waves. And it also has settings for frequency and voltage. I think that may be it.

But I wiring it up, do I put one end of it to ground and the other running to CLK of the flip flops?

thanks again.

ranger said:
But I wiring it up, do I put one end of it to ground and the other running to CLK of the flip flops?
thanks again.
Yep, you've got the right idea.

yes you need to use function generator for clock usage. I got digital circuit design course in university and we used fnc generator in labs for CLK.

Go to "Place>component>sources>digital_sources>digital_clock" from your multisim. i found it in my multisim11... i think you got your specific answer... :)

1. What is Multisim and how is it used in designing flip flops and clocks?

Multisim is a software program used for circuit design and analysis. It allows scientists and engineers to simulate, test, and optimize electronic circuits before physically building them. Flip flops and clocks are two types of digital circuits that can be designed and analyzed using Multisim.

2. How do flip flops and clocks work?

Flip flops are digital circuits that can store and remember a single bit of information. They have two stable states, 0 and 1, and can be triggered to change states based on certain inputs. Clocks, on the other hand, are circuits that generate a continuous series of pulses, which can be used to synchronize the timing of other circuits in a system.

3. What are the different types of flip flops and clocks that can be designed using Multisim?

There are various types of flip flops and clocks that can be designed using Multisim, including D flip flops, JK flip flops, T flip flops, and edge-triggered flip flops. For clocks, Multisim has options for designing both digital and analog clocks, such as astable and monostable multivibrators.

4. Can Multisim simulate and analyze complex flip flops and clocks?

Yes, Multisim is capable of simulating and analyzing complex flip flops and clocks. It has built-in libraries of digital and analog components, as well as the ability to create custom components. It also has advanced simulation capabilities, such as Monte Carlo analysis, to test the robustness of the designed circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using Multisim for designing flip flops and clocks?

While Multisim is a powerful tool, there are some limitations to keep in mind when using it for designing flip flops and clocks. For example, the accuracy of simulations may be affected by the accuracy of the models used for components. Additionally, the complexity of the circuit may impact the simulation time and require a more powerful computer.