1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floating Granite Sphere Fountain

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    Dear All,

I want to calculate water pump required for lifting the 1.5m dia. Granite ball on 3mm water sheet.
    kindly help ma as the earliest.
    Thanks
    Snadeep

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply, but this I'am already having but not getting how to calculate. kindly post something in easy method if you have thanks

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the application? Why are you trying to do this? Is this for a schoolwork assignment?

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5
    No Sir, It's not school assignment, I'm having one client he want this type of water fountain in his upcoming mall project. I've to provide him calculations for this granite Sphere water fountain.

7. Feb 17, 2016 #6

berkeman

What is your background? If you don't have the mechanical engineering background for this assignment, it may be best for you to hire a local professional engineer to design the system. Asking for this kind of design advice on the Internet is not very professional, especially when it involves such heavy objects...

8. Feb 17, 2016 #7
    Sir,
    I'm a estimation and design engineer and working for water fountain company from last four year, but this is my first time i'm facing such kind of water feature that's why i'm looking for some basic information so that i can work on it and Sir, I'm a mechanical engineer. Thanks

9. Feb 18, 2016 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Especially spherical ones...

indiana-jones-boulder-o.gif

10. Feb 18, 2016 #9

anorlunda

When the power fails, the ball will crash down. Calculating how to design to resist damage from that might be even harder. Also design for pranks where kids will try to push the rock to the side. A fake ball made of foam might be a solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  11. Feb 18, 2016 #10

anorlunda

Another solution could be a hemispherical cup on a supporting pillar. The cup could have small holes for water under pressure. If it lifted the back only one mn, the ball would still move and spin slowly. But if anything goes wrong, the cup catches the ball. A surrounding water column would conceal the cup and the pillar, thus creating this illusion that it is holding the ball up.

12. Feb 18, 2016 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook