Flow between parallel plates or not.

In summary, the conversation is about 2D modeling with COMSOL for a flow passing square objects inside a small structure. The speaker is struggling to find an appropriate model due to the size and geometry of the structure, as well as the behavior of the fluid when using a flow between parallel plates model. They are seeking suggestions for alternative models, specifically for solving Navier-Stokes equations and determining the flow regime.
umi0810
Hi,

I'm doing 2D modeling with COMSOL and my design is about a flow (in the x direction) inside a structure passing square objects, so I thought I could model it on the mechanics of flow between parallel plates.

Unfortunately, the square objects are of the same height as the structure and does not extend for a very long distance in the z direction (height in z direction:width in y direction= 1:100), which is one of the assumptions for that model to work.

Also, the volume of the structure is quite small (10mm x 10mm x 0.1mm) and the inlet resides on the same side as the outlet.

When I tried to force the inlet with fluid velocity based on the flow between parallel plates model, the fluid behaves strangely (like flowing against gravity and stuff ^^;).

Can anyone tell me of any other model that I can base my flow on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand your geometry. If it is a square or rectangular duct, you just have to solve navier-stocks equations in such geometry. Then depending on the flow regime i.e the Reynolds number value, you will be in laminar, transition or turbulent. In the case of turbulent flow, many authors showed that in complex geometries, you have recirculation zones.

I would first commend you for using a simulation software like COMSOL to model your flow. It shows that you are taking a systematic and data-driven approach to your research.

In terms of your question about flow between parallel plates, it is important to consider all the assumptions and limitations of this model. As you have mentioned, one of the key assumptions is that the plates extend for a long distance in the z direction. This is necessary for the model to accurately represent the flow behavior. Additionally, the volume of your structure and the placement of the inlet and outlet may also affect the results.

Given these limitations, it may be necessary to explore other models that can better represent your flow conditions. One option could be the Navier-Stokes equations, which take into account the effects of viscosity and turbulence on fluid flow. Another option could be the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) equations, which are commonly used for turbulent flow simulations.

It is also important to carefully consider the boundary conditions and assumptions for any model you choose to use. This will help ensure that your simulation results are accurate and meaningful.

I hope this helps guide you in selecting a suitable model for your flow simulation. Keep in mind that as a scientist, it is important to constantly evaluate and adjust your approach as needed to ensure the accuracy and validity of your results. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the concept of flow between parallel plates?

The concept of flow between parallel plates refers to the movement of a fluid (liquid or gas) between two flat plates that are parallel to each other. This is a common phenomenon in fluid mechanics and is often studied in the context of laminar flow.

2. How is the flow between parallel plates characterized?

The flow between parallel plates is characterized by the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces. It determines whether the flow is laminar or turbulent.

3. What is the equation for calculating the Reynolds number for flow between parallel plates?

The equation for calculating the Reynolds number for flow between parallel plates is Re = ρVD/μ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the fluid, D is the distance between the plates, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow between parallel plates?

In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in smooth and orderly layers, while in turbulent flow, the fluid particles move in a chaotic and irregular manner. Laminar flow occurs at low Reynolds numbers, while turbulent flow occurs at high Reynolds numbers.

5. How does the distance between the plates affect the flow between parallel plates?

The distance between the plates, also known as the channel width, has a significant impact on the flow between parallel plates. A smaller channel width results in a higher velocity and a higher Reynolds number, which may lead to a transition from laminar to turbulent flow.