Flow Chart For a 'for' Loop In Python

The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth

These are classics in the field though not everyone owns a copy. They are akin to an encyclopedia of algorithms and as such take some skill and effort to understand not necessarily a good fit for a newbie programmer.

I considered getting a copy but when i saw it coming out in fascicles decided to wait until it was finished. Im still waiting since 1982, it isnt finished and I imagine granddaughter will just have to wait too.

I don't use flowcharts that much but that is because I've finished learning how to use python and don't need them anymore. But, back when I was still learning python they were persistent on flowcharts being used as it was easier to understand the code. The way I learnt it was that parallelograms are a input or output, rectangles are a processes, ellipses are start or end, and diamonds are a decision or check whether a condition is met. I wouldn't stress about flowcharts because when you finish learning it no one uses it seriously.

The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth

These are classics in the field though not everyone owns a copy. They akin to an encyclopedia of algorithms and as such take some skill and effort to understand not necessarily a good fit for a newbie programmer.

I considered getting a copy but when i saw it coming out in fascicles decided to wait until it was finished. Im still waiting since 1982, it isnt finished and I imagine granddaughter will just have to wait too.
Professor Donald Knuth is a man the praises regarding whom I cannot sing highly enough. Maybe his pipe organ (yes, everyone, he explains why it has to be a real pipe organ) can sing that high, but I can't. May all that is good be presented to that great man. And oh yeah when you use ##\TeX## you're using that man's code. He wrote it.

rcgldr

Homework Helper
At one of my old jobs, we bought a program that converted psuedocode into a flowchart, but after a couple of months, it became clear that the pseudocode was easier to follow than the flowchart, and the flowcharts were abandoned.

As for Python using a list for a counter, it's not clear with 3.0 and later versions what happens in range(). In Python 2.7, xrange() was used to iterate a counter, not produce a list, unlike range(), but Python 3.0 deprecated xrange(), and I'm not sure if Python doesn't optimize range() into xrange() depending on how it's used.

My understanding is that range() is dynamic in this respect and similar to xrange() returning an iterator that generates the next number in sequence whereas the old range() generated a list, taking up a fair amount of memory, that was then iterated over.

So range() became deprecated and xrange() became the new range() in python3.

At one of my old jobs, we bought a program that converted psuedocode into a flowchart, but after a couple of months, it became clear that the pseudocode was easier to follow than the flowchart, and the flowcharts were abandoned.

As for Python using a list for a counter, it's not clear with 3.0 and later versions what happens in range(). In Python 2.7, xrange() was used to iterate a counter, not produce a list, unlike range(), but Python 3.0 deprecated xrange(), and I'm not sure if Python doesn't optimize range() into xrange() depending on how it's used.
Yes, that's true -- it was a problem regarding memory pre-allocation versus ad hoc dynamic allocation -- now it's dynamic-only .....

My understanding is that range() is dynamic in this respect and similar to xrange() returning an iterator that generates the next number in sequence whereas the old range() generated a list, taking up a fair amount of memory, that was then iterated over.

So range() became deprecated and xrange() became the new range() in python3.
I agree with what Sifu Jedi said.