Flow of fluid out of vertical tube

In summary, this problem deals with the flow of a liquid from a vertical tube with caps removed. Gravity is the driving force and the forces of inertia and viscosity provide resistance to the flow. The parameters that affect the rate of flow are gravity, tube diameter, liquid density, and liquid viscosity. It is unclear whether the length of the tube is a parameter or not. Viscosity is responsible for friction at the boundary layer.
swmmr1928

Homework Statement

A liquid initially fills the inside of a vertical tube of length L and inside diameter D. The tube is capped at both ends. Then the caps are suddenly removed, and the liquid flows out of the bottom of the tube as a continuous stream until the tube is nearly empty. Assume that the flow inside the tube is laminar and that the force of the surrounding air on the stream is negligible. Gravity provides the driving force for the flow. What forces provide resistance to flow? List the parameters you think affect the rate of flow of the liquid from the tube. Give the dimensions of each parameter.

Homework Equations

na

The Attempt at a Solution

Gravity (L/t^2), Tube diameter (L), liquid density (m/L^3), liquid viscosity (m/L*t),

The forces the provide resistance to flow are inertia and viscosity(friction).

My questions to viewers: Does viscosity take care of friction at the boundary layer? Does the velocity depend on the tube length? I did not include it because it was not included in a similar example problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
swmmr1928 said:

Homework Statement

A liquid initially fills the inside of a vertical tube of length L and inside diameter D. The tube is capped at both ends. Then the caps are suddenly removed, and the liquid flows out of the bottom of the tube as a continuous stream until the tube is nearly empty. Assume that the flow inside the tube is laminar and that the force of the surrounding air on the stream is negligible. Gravity provides the driving force for the flow. What forces provide resistance to flow? List the parameters you think affect the rate of flow of the liquid from the tube. Give the dimensions of each parameter.

Homework Equations

na

The Attempt at a Solution

Gravity (L/t^2), Tube diameter (L), liquid density (m/L^3), liquid viscosity (m/L*t),

The forces the provide resistance to flow are inertia and viscosity(friction).

My questions to viewers: Does viscosity take care of friction at the boundary layer? Does the velocity depend on the tube length? I did not include it because it was not included in a similar example problem.

This is a bit of a tricky problem. Initially, the velocity of the fluid will be zero, so there will be no viscous drag, and inertia will dominate. As the velocity increases, you will begin to develop a (laminar) boundary layer at the wall, and the velocity profile across the tube will remain flat, except within the boundary layer. Throughout the problem, viscosity is the source of friction at the wall. It is not clear at the outset whether the length of the tube is a parameter. My intuition tells me that it is not, but I would have to set up the equations to be sure. So tentatively, I would have to say that the length of the tube is a parameter.

1. What is the flow of fluid out of a vertical tube?

The flow of fluid out of a vertical tube refers to the movement of a liquid or gas from the top of a vertically oriented tube to the bottom due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the flow rate of fluid out of a vertical tube determined?

The flow rate of fluid out of a vertical tube is determined by factors such as the size of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, and the height of the tube. It can be calculated using the equations of fluid mechanics, such as Bernoulli's equation or the continuity equation.

3. What factors affect the flow of fluid out of a vertical tube?

The flow of fluid out of a vertical tube can be affected by several factors, including the diameter of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, the height of the tube, and the presence of any obstacles or bends in the tube.

4. How does the flow of fluid out of a vertical tube differ from other types of fluid flow?

The flow of fluid out of a vertical tube is unique in that it is driven by the force of gravity rather than external pressure or a pump. This can result in a slower and more controlled flow compared to other types of fluid flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the flow of fluid out of a vertical tube?

Understanding the flow of fluid out of a vertical tube is important in various industries, such as plumbing, oil and gas, and chemical processing. It is also relevant in everyday scenarios, such as draining water from a bathtub or emptying a water bottle.