Flow through a venturi meter (TEL)

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent experiment analyzing flow through a venturi meter and plotting the total energy line, velocity head line, and pressure head line across 11 piezometers connected to the pipeline. The equations used for the calculations are also mentioned, and the issue of the total energy line behaving differently than expected is brought up. The velocity and pressure head lines behave as expected, but the total energy line decreases, then increases, and finishes at a lower point than its initial height. The possibility of experimental error is considered.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

I recently completed an experiment which analysed flow through a venturi meter. We were then asked to plot the total energy line, velocity head line and pressure head line across 11 piezometers connected to the pipeline.

Homework Equations

## \frac{P_1}{\rho g} + z_1 + \frac{v^2_1}{2g} = \frac{P_2}{\rho g} + z_2 + \frac{v^2_2}{2g} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing as ##z_1 \approx z_2##, they can be neglected. My problem is, that when plotting the TEL it decreases, then increases a bit before finishing at a point lower than it's initial height. I know that it should decrease along the flow and never increase. Does it make any sense that i's behaving this way? The dynamic head and pressure head lines behave as expected. The pressure head line decreases to a min at the throat and increases again to a point lower than it's initial point. The velocity head line increases to a max at the throat and then decreases to a min. So, both the velocity head and pressure head lines make sense, but not the TEL. I've been calculating the total head using: [tex] \frac{P}{\rho g} + \frac{v^2}{2g}[/tex] ignoring ##z## seeing as it won't make a difference when looking at the changes in the TEL. [tex]Pressure Head: \frac{P}{\rho g}[/tex]
This is read from the piezometer. Velocity Head: [tex]\frac{v^2}{2g}[/tex] This was calculated using the areas given on the venturi meter itself and the measured flow rate, to get the velocity. g is a constant. So, am I doing anything wrong or is this just down to experimental error?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a rough sketch of what the lines look like.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1383326917.613825.jpg

Bump.

What is a venturi meter and how does it work?

A venturi meter is a device used to measure the flow rate of a fluid in a closed system. It consists of a narrow section called the venturi tube, which is connected between two larger sections. The fluid passing through the venturi tube creates a pressure difference, which can be measured to determine the flow rate.

What is the principle behind flow measurement using a venturi meter?

The principle behind flow measurement using a venturi meter is Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid in a closed system remains constant. As the fluid passes through the narrow section of the venturi tube, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases. This change in pressure is directly proportional to the flow rate of the fluid.

What factors can affect the accuracy of flow measurement using a venturi meter?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of flow measurement using a venturi meter. These include the shape and size of the venturi tube, the properties of the fluid being measured (such as viscosity and density), and the presence of any obstructions or disturbances in the flow.

How is the flow rate calculated using a venturi meter?

The flow rate through a venturi meter is calculated using the Bernoulli equation and the known properties of the fluid and the venturi tube. The equation is typically rearranged to solve for the flow rate, which is then measured in units such as liters per minute or cubic meters per hour.

What are some common applications of venturi meters?

Venturi meters are commonly used in various industries, including water treatment, oil and gas, and chemical processing. They are also used in scientific research and experimentation. Some specific applications include measuring the flow rate of water in pipes, monitoring air flow in ventilation systems, and controlling fuel flow in engines.