Fluid Dynamics–Find pipe diameter,head loss & actual mean velocity.

In summary, the theoretical diameter of pipe is 120mm and the Reynolds number for the process is 2902.5. The head loss due to friction is 0.143m.
Moranovich
1. Homework Statement
a) Calculate the theoretical diameter of pipe, nominal pipe diameter and mean velocity of nominal pipe diameter.

Maximum velocity = 1.8m/s
Q(vol. flow rate) = 0.01M^3-1

b) Find the Reynolds number for the process and then the head loss due to friction, state any assumptions made.

Please see attached diagram***

2. Homework Equations

D=sqrrt 4*q/Pi*U
q=volumetric flow rate
D=theoretical diameter

Q=V*A
V=Q/A
V=mean velocity
A=cros sect area
Q=vol. flow rate

Re=um*d*P/U
Where um=mean velocity
d = diameter of pipe
p = density
U = dynamic viscosity of fluid
Re= Reynolds number

Head loss due to friction Hf=32*U*L*um/P*g*d^2
U = dynamic viscosity of fluid
L length of pipe from the pump = 27m
P= density taken from previous questions I have done for oil= 860Kgm-3
g = gravity 9.81m/s
d = diameter of theoretical pipe =120mm

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out the theoretical diameter to be 120mm from the first equation assuming that the mean velocity is roughly half the maximum velocity ie 0.9m/s

So sqrrt 4*q/Pi*U = sqrrt 4*0.01/3.142*0.9=0.12m
Then choosing from the table nominal pipe 100mm the actual velocity for the nominal pipe is 1.27m/s using this eq.

Q=V*A
V=Q/A
V=0.01/7.85*10^-3=1.27m/s

To work out the Reynolds number I have used the density and dyn. viscosity from previous questions (860kgm & 0.032)
Re=0.9*0.12*860/0.032=2902.5

To work out the head loss I have used these density and dyn. Viscosity figures again and worked out from the diagram that (from the pump) the length of pipe is 27M.
So Hf=32*0.032*27*0.9/860*9.81*0.12^2=0.205M

So head loss due to friction is 0.205M.

I am not sure if I should use these assumptions i.e density and viscosity that are not given in the question. Am I on the right track or away on a crazy tangent??!

Any help would be much appreciated – thank you in advance.

Cheers

Attachments

• Fluid Flow question.docx
    207.3 KB · Views: 621
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, but you used the pressure drop equation for laminar flow, and the flow is turbulent (for the viscosity and density you assumed).

Thanks for your comment Chestermiller much appreciated.

So I have now used the following Darcy equation for turbulent flow
Hf=4LCfUm^2/2gd

(Cf obtained from Moody diagram)

So = 4*27*0.004*0.9^2 / 2*9.81*0.12
Hf=0.143m of fluid.

Is this the correct method??

Cheers.

Moranovich said:
Thanks for your comment Chestermiller much appreciated.

So I have now used the following Darcy equation for turbulent flow
Hf=4LCfUm^2/2gd

(Cf obtained from Moody diagram)

So = 4*27*0.004*0.9^2 / 2*9.81*0.12
Hf=0.143m of fluid.

Is this the correct method??

Cheers.
Yes. This looks right. (But, I haven't checked your arithmetic)

Hi there,

I am looking to understand the methods used in questions c) and d)

Can you provide any insight into how i can answer a question similar to these

Why is the mean velocity roughly half of the maximum velocity? Does this apply to laminar/turbulent/transitional flows?

Thanks in advanced

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the movement and behavior of fluids, including liquids and gases. It involves the analysis of factors such as pressure, velocity, and density to understand how fluids interact with each other and their surroundings.

2. How do I find the pipe diameter for fluid flow?

The pipe diameter for fluid flow can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as the fluid velocity, viscosity, and pipe roughness. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or reference tables to find the appropriate pipe diameter for a given flow rate and fluid type.

3. What is head loss in fluid dynamics?

Head loss is the loss of energy or pressure that occurs as fluid flows through a pipe or channel. It is caused by factors such as friction, turbulence, and changes in flow direction. Head loss is an important consideration in fluid dynamics, as it can affect the efficiency and performance of a fluid system.

4. How can I calculate the actual mean velocity of a fluid?

The actual mean velocity of a fluid can be calculated using the volumetric flow rate and the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel through which the fluid is flowing. The formula for mean velocity is mean velocity = volumetric flow rate / cross-sectional area. Alternatively, you can use flow meters or other instruments to measure the velocity directly.

5. What are some common applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and environmental science. Some common applications include designing efficient pipelines and hydraulic systems, studying weather patterns and ocean currents, and understanding the behavior of liquids and gases in industrial processes.