1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics, Linearization Question

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an ideal fluid large enough to experience its own gravitational attraction. If the fluid is initially at hydrostatic equilibrium with density [tex]\rho_{0} (r)[/tex] and pressure [tex]p_{0}(r)[/tex] , it can develop small amplitude pressure waves which may be analyzed as follows.

Show that [tex]\delta p = p - p_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\delta\rho = \rho - \rho_{0}[/tex] obey the linearized equations of motion

[tex]\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} = - \nabla . ( \rho_{0} v)[/tex]

[tex]\rho_{0} \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = -\nabla\delta p + \delta\rho g [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The relevant equations are

[tex]\rho\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} + \rho (v . \nabla) v = - \nabla p[/tex] + g
    [tex]\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} + \nabla (\rho .v) = 0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For the solution I began writing
    [tex] p = p_{0} + \delta p[/tex] (1)
    [tex] \rho = \rho_{0} + \delta\rho[/tex] (2)

and assumed that [tex]\delta\rho <<< \rho_{0}[/tex] (3)
    and [tex]\delta p <<< p_{0} [/tex] (4)

I then substituted (3) and (4) into (1) and (2) and only kept the lowest order terms (since [tex]\delta\rho[/tex] is small compared to [tex]\rho[/tex] ).

So then I get [tex]\rho_{0}\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = - \nabla\delta p + \delta\rho g[/tex]
    and [tex]\frac{\partial \delta\rho}{\partial t} + \rho_{0}\nabla .v = 0 [/tex]

If anyone could help from here that'd be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?