Fluid flow through positive pressure gradient

In summary, the conversation is about Bernoulli's principle and how it applies to fluid flow in a positive pressure gradient, specifically in a diffuser or diverging part of a venturi meter. The speaker is confused about how flow can occur in this direction, since flow typically moves from high to low pressure. The other person explains that the fluid's kinetic energy will decelerate as it climbs the pressure gradient, and that the fluid's motion can be affected by both positive and negative pressure gradients. Finally, they mention that Bernoulli's equation is an energy balance and that it can help with industrial flow measurement.
jacksimpson
I am a student of 11th standard and being introduced to Bernoulli's principle made me wonder , how does flow takes place in positive pressure gradient (i.e. from low pressure region to high pressure region), in a diffuser or a diverging part of a venturi meter , since we know that flow always takes place from high pressure region to low pressure region ?.
it will be very kind of you to clear my confusion.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The fluid having kinetic energy will decelerate as it climbs the pressure gradient.

Fluid motion does not always take place in the direction of negative pressure gradient; it always accelerates in that direction. If it already has motion against the pressure gradient, the gradient will serve to retard that motion, this the reason the velocity reduces through a diffuser.

yes sir i understand that. But can I say that the fluid at the diffuser inlet has enough momentum to overcome the positive pressure gradient and hence the flow. and as the flow occurs the kinetic energy is converted into pressure energy

Yes. That is essentially what Bernoulli's equation is telling you. It's an energy balance.

1. What is positive pressure gradient?

Positive pressure gradient refers to the change in pressure of a fluid in a specific direction. It occurs when there is a higher pressure at one point in the fluid compared to another point in the same fluid.

2. How does positive pressure gradient affect fluid flow?

Positive pressure gradient causes the fluid to flow from the higher pressure area to the lower pressure area. This creates a force that moves the fluid in a specific direction, resulting in fluid flow.

3. What factors affect fluid flow through positive pressure gradient?

The viscosity of the fluid, the geometry of the channel through which the fluid is flowing, and the magnitude of the pressure gradient all affect fluid flow through positive pressure gradient.

4. What is the equation for calculating fluid flow through positive pressure gradient?

The equation for calculating fluid flow through positive pressure gradient is known as the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the viscosity, pressure gradient, and channel geometry to determine the rate of fluid flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid flow through positive pressure gradient?

Some examples of real-world applications of fluid flow through positive pressure gradient include blood flow through blood vessels, water flow through pipes, and air flow through ventilation systems.