Fluid force on a vertical 15' by 5' panel submerged in water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
mcrew
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have a vertical panel. Top of panel is at water level. Units are in feet. 15'x5'. I calculated the force in pounds. water=62.5 lb/ ft3. I came up with F= 11,718.75 lb
Just double checking this, making sure I did I correctly.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1408553893.001694.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My calculations were 11718.75 pounds. Just trying to verify my answer. I want to make sure I did the integral correctly.
 
mcrew said:
My calculations were 11718.75 pounds. Just trying to verify my answer. I want to make sure I did the integral correctly.

I confirm that answer.
 
Nice: a weight (oh, sorry, a force...) in seven digits when the height is given in one.
The integral is correct.

But boy, am I glad I was taught SI units...

Still don't see the problem, exactly as given; do you, o gut peeker ?
 
BvU said:
Nice: a weight (oh, sorry, a force...) in seven digits when the height is given in one.

Still don't see the problem, exactly as given; do you, o gut peeker ?

Yes, the answer is excessively precise.
The second diagram explains the question well enough, I think. In the OP, I had to assume the answer correct to deduce the question.
 
This looks correct. (Oops, I was doing PF with my Iphone, and didn't notice the other responses).

Chet
 
Last edited: