Fluid Mechanics Question: Calculating Pressure for Inlet and Outlet of a Bend

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Studious_stud
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



2j17yg2.jpg


Homework Equations



P = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution



Hey, recently I started revising fluid mechanics and just going some basic problems. Here I need some help with part (ii)

Well I've calculated the inlet and outlet velocities, converted all units to their appropriate values in meters, seconds and pascals etc.

I know that pressure is force per unit area, and thus can obviously calculate it for the inlet of the bend. But how does this relate to the outlet pressure of the bend? How do I calculate that?

Thanks in advance everyone.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to use P=F/A. Pressure at the inlet is given.

You should use Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure at the outlet. Since velocities are needed in Bernoulli's, you have to calculate the inlet and outlet velocities. These can be calculated since you know the inlet and outlet areas, as well as the volumetric flow rate.