1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics question (shear stress)

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    The problem and solutions is here

[​IMG]

Isn't the shear stress for both the inner and outer negative? When i take the derivative i get negative. The derivative is basically ln ( 1/x) since the rest are just constants.

Edit: I meant that the expression looks similar to ln (1/x).

Also I am clueless to how they got the values for that the velocity destribution graph. They picked a/b = 0.8 and i believe the # has to be less than 1 or the Vz equation is undefined.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Remeber ln (1/x) = ln (x-1) = - ln x or

ln (a/b) = -ln (b/a).

Also, if one opens a spreadsheet, enters x = 0.8 . . . 1.0, by .01, and then plots 1/x vs x, one will see that it looks almost straight.

The solution indicates that the plot is almost linear. The radial dimension has been normalized to b, by using r/b for the abscissa.

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    thanks Astronuc, but i still got a few questions.

Why did they do a/b? Is it because the problem wants to know the ratio of velocity distribution between the two cylinders?

Also where did r/b come from? The only way i see it is that they substituted ln (b/r) with -ln (r/b), but why?

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4
    Either I'm very tired and can't think, or this solution has a serious problem with negative signes everywhere.

A ratio of a/b=0.8 was picked just as an example for a gap.

Using r/b is just a better choice when it comes to interpreting results. When the ratio is 0.8, you're at the inner cylinder (since the smaller cylinder is defined as a/b=0.8), when it's 1, you're at the outer.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?