1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics - submerged triangular surfaces

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    Hi, i am having difficulty with a question because i cannot seem to get the right answer. i dont think i am far off i just know i go wrong somwhere and if you could point that out it would be great. the question is attatched. for the first part i find the equations of the lines of the two sides starting from d. then subtract them to find w (=Xright-Xleft). using double integration i find the area by
    A=∫∫dA where limits firstly are X=Xright, X=Xleft and then S=h and S=0. My problem is on part C i cannot get the correct answer which means i have gone somewhere wrong further up, most likely at either the limits im using or for S or finding w. I am meant to use double integration for these questions and Sc=As|o /A and ***|c= ***|o - A*Sc^2.
    Any comments are appreciated, thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi TimIgoe90! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    fine so far :smile:
    yup, your limits can't both be between fixed numbers

if your S limits are from 0 to h, then your x limits will be functions of S

(= the left- and right-most coordinates of that strip in the diagram, of height dh :wink:)

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    I am sorry not sure i understand. i have found w to be = Xright-Xleft by finding the equation of the lines in terms of S and functions of S. so w= [(b-d)*s/ λh]+[d*s/h]. from my notes i am told that my limits for x should be xleft and xright, which when integrating A=∫∫dA it would give me A=∫wds....what two limits of s would i then need to integrate it? sorry if you already answered but i wasnt sure. thanks

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the limits of S are 0 to h

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5
    thats what i thought it was. but i cannot seem to get the correct answer for part C. im not sure where i am going wrong, my answer is close to the required one, so i dont think i am too far off.

7. Apr 28, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you want us to check your work, you'll have to show us :smile:

8. Apr 28, 2012 #7
    That is my working out. Much appreciated

Attached Files:

9. Apr 28, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's a little difficult to read, but i think your answer for A is wrong,

you seem to have lost a 1/λ somewhere :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook