1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics - Water, Ridiculous Answer

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    Water at standard atmospheric pressure and temperature fills a sealed, rigid container. If the temperature of the water is increased by 50°C, what is the pressure?

V = volume, P = pressure, T = temperature

Coefficient of compressibility, kappa = (-1/V)(dV/dP)
    Coefficient of thermal expansion, beta = (1/V)(dV/dT)

I solved for dV/V from the coefficient of thermal expansion equation:
    dV/V = beta*dT.

Plugging into coefficient of compressibility equation:
    kappa = -(beta*dT)/dP.

Solved for dP = -(beta*dT)/kappa, changed the d's into deltas.

Plugging kappa = 5.18 * 10^-10 and beta = 1.48 * 10^-4 into delta P equation gave me delta P = -92.3 MPa. Is this reasonable at all? I mean, the pressure difference seems a bit large.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2
    Anyone?

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3
    Hi eurekameh,

Now without even looking through your equations I can tell you that they are wrong, or you have made a mistake somewhere.

An increase in temperature will cause an increase in pressure, vice versa... Look up how refrigerators and heat pumps work, also think of your deodorant can - it loses pressure and gets colder.

I'm afraid I can't help you much more as my brain is currently fried from work.

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4
    The magnitude of your answer is correct, but the sign is wrong. Write the equation of the change in V in terms of the changes in P and T. Then set the change in V equal to zero in the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook