Fluid mechanics - pump in a horizontal pipe connecting two pipes

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Bernoulli equation to calculate the change in height (dh) due to the velocity (v1 and v2) of two large tanks. The equation is dh = (dp - dpl)/(rho*g), with dp representing the pressure and rho representing the density. Without considering the pressure loss on the orifice, the calculated dh is 10.2m. The loss coefficient for a standard orifice with a ratio of D2/D1 = 0.6 is 2. To calculate the pressure loss (dpl), the equation is dpl = 1/2 * rho * v1^2 * 2, which results in a value of 1613 Pa
Clout
Homework Statement
Hey guys, my problem is in the linked task the first letter a). I tried to calculate this problem since 2 hours and dont get on the solution. Please excuse my english, its not my native language.
Relevant Equations
g*h1+p1/rho+(v1^2)/2 = g*h2+p2/rho + v2^2/2 + dpl
dpl = Pressure loss

dpl = 1/2 * rho * v1^2 * loss coefficient
So when the velocity of v1 and v2 is 0 (because the tanks are much bigger), the bernoulli equation to dh is dh = (dp-dpl)/(rho*g)

with dp = Phyd / V = 1000W / 0.01m³/s = 10^5 Pa and rho = 1000 kg/m³

So I am getting first without the pressure loss on the orifice dh = 10^5 Pa / (1000 kg/m³ * 9,81 m/s²) = 10.2m

So the loss coefficient for a standard orifice and for D2/D1 = 0.6 is 2 (according of the supplement what our prof gave us)

v1 = V / (r2²*pi) = 1.27 m/s

dpl = 1/2 * 1000 kg/m³ * (1.27 m/s)² * 2 = 1613 Pa

Now I am gettin dh with the pressure loss

dh = (10^5 Pa - 1613 Pa) / (1000 kg/m³ * 9,81 m/s² ) = 10.03m

Still don't get to the 6.8m. And I don't know what up, so the pressure loss should be much much bigger than these 1613 Pa.

Im very thankfull for every help.

Attachments

• Flow.PNG
    Flow.PNG
    111.2 KB · Views: 286
  • bb.PNG
    bb.PNG
    90.8 KB · Views: 290
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are very hard to read. Please use LaTex.

Related to Fluid mechanics - pump in a horizontal pipe connecting two pipes

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their motion. It involves understanding how fluids behave under various conditions, such as when they are at rest or in motion, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What is a pump in a horizontal pipe connecting two pipes?

A pump in a horizontal pipe connecting two pipes is a mechanical device used to increase the pressure and flow of a fluid through a pipe system. It is typically used to transfer fluids from one location to another, such as from one pipe to another.

3. How does a pump work in a horizontal pipe?

A pump works by using mechanical energy to move the fluid from a low-pressure area to a high-pressure area. In a horizontal pipe, the pump uses a motor to rotate an impeller, which creates a suction force that draws the fluid into the pump and then pushes it through the pipe.

4. What are the different types of pumps used in horizontal pipe systems?

There are several types of pumps that can be used in horizontal pipe systems, including centrifugal pumps, positive displacement pumps, and axial flow pumps. The type of pump used will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the system.

5. How is the performance of a pump in a horizontal pipe measured?

The performance of a pump in a horizontal pipe can be measured in terms of its flow rate, pressure, and efficiency. The flow rate is the volume of fluid that the pump can move in a given amount of time, while the pressure is the force that the pump can generate to move the fluid. Efficiency measures how well the pump converts mechanical energy into fluid flow.