Fluid statics- pressure intensity and hydrostatic force

In summary: Therefore, you do not need to consider atmospheric pressure when calculating pressure intensity. In summary, the task is to calculate and plot the pressure intensity at 4m intervals over a vertical and determine the total hydrostatic force per unit width, which is equal to rho*g*h^2/2. Atmospheric pressure does not need to be taken into account for this calculation.
l.l.h

Homework Statement

a concrete dam, 20m in height, has a vertical upstream face. if the water level is coincident with the top of the dame, calculate and plot the pressure intensity at 4m intervals over a vertical and thus determine the total hydrostatic force acting per unit width. Show that this force F, is equal to rho*g*h^2/2

Homework Equations

P=rho*g*h
P2=Patm+rho*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

im okay calculating from the equation however i am unsure when calculating the pressure intensity do i consider the atmospheric pressure or not

Physics news on Phys.org
l.l.h said:

Homework Statement

a concrete dam, 20m in height, has a vertical upstream face. if the water level is coincident with the top of the dame, calculate and plot the pressure intensity at 4m intervals over a vertical and thus determine the total hydrostatic force acting per unit width. Show that this force F, is equal to rho*g*h^2/2

Homework Equations

P=rho*g*h
P2=Patm+rho*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

im okay calculating from the equation however i am unsure when calculating the pressure intensity do i consider the atmospheric pressure or not
I think you can safely assume that the downstream face of the dam is exposed to the atmosphere, thus, when asked to calculate the hydrostatic force per unit width, this force results from the water pressure alone acting on the upstream face of the dam.

1. What is fluid statics?

Fluid statics is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the study of fluids at rest. It focuses on the pressure distribution and forces exerted by a fluid on its container or any object placed in it.

2. What is pressure intensity?

Pressure intensity refers to the amount of force per unit area that a fluid exerts on a surface. It is a measure of the intensity of the force that the fluid exerts on the surface at a specific point.

3. How is pressure intensity calculated in fluid statics?

Pressure intensity is calculated by dividing the force exerted by a fluid on a surface by the area of that surface. This can be represented by the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

4. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object due to the pressure of the fluid. It is perpendicular to the surface of the object and depends on the density of the fluid, the depth of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

Hydrostatic force is calculated by multiplying the pressure at a specific depth by the area of the submerged object. This can be represented by the equation F = PA, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is area.