1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid statics- pressure intensity and hydrostatic force

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a concrete dam, 20m in height, has a vertical upstream face. if the water level is coincident with the top of the dame, calculate and plot the pressure intensity at 4m intervals over a vertical and thus determine the total hydrostatic force acting per unit width. Show that this force F, is equal to rho*g*h^2/2

2. Relevant equations
    P=rho*g*h
    P2=Patm+rho*g*h

3. The attempt at a solution
    im okay calculating from the equation however i am unsure when calculating the pressure intensity do i consider the atmospheric pressure or not

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you can safely assume that the downstream face of the dam is exposed to the atmosphere, thus, when asked to calculate the hydrostatic force per unit width, this force results from the water pressure alone acting on the upstream face of the dam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted