Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Surface Interaction (FSI)

  1. Aug 18, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

    This is my first post on this forum, I am trying to find out about Fluid Surface Interaction (FSI), but have not found much information on it,

    I have two questions at the moment:

    1) Can anyone recommend any literature/books on Fluid Surface Interaction?

    2) I know that FSI occurs when a fluid interacts with a solid, deforms the solid and therefore affects the fluid flow. It can occur for example in biomedical heart valves where blood flows through the heart valve. Would it be applicable in human natural and artificial joints (e.g. hip joint) where there is a fluid film rather than an a inlet-outlet type fluid flow?

    Any feedback would be much appreciated

  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

    2)FSI at (e.g.) hip joint is called thin film lubrication. It it substantially different from classical (e.g., as you write, biomedical heart valves) FSI since the size of structures deflection is comparable with the same size of the film thickness. The topic is quite well studied by not yet completely.

    1)Just try to google your application + lubrication and you will find a plenty of work on it. E.g. on hip joint http://books.google.com/books?id=V-...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBQ


    ps: numerics for "classical" FSI and thin film lubrication are strongly different: many fem package can solve FSI, but very few of them can also solve the other.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook