Propelling a Can with Pressurized Water: Which Method is Best?

In summary, this conversation is about a student's idea for a device that uses pressurized water to propel itself forward. There are several ways that this could be done, but the student is not sure which would be the best option. One possibility is using water pressure as energy, but this is not the best solution because the pressure will drop very quickly once the can is empty. Another option is to use a jet of water, but this would be more efficient only if the can is a simple cylinder. There is also the possibility of using a torpedo, but this is not realistic because they used an engine to power the movement.
FlemishDuck
I'm working on an idea in product development, though being still a fairly new student in this i still am left with a lot of questions, perhaps anyone can aswer?

Say that i have a closed can with pressurised water lying in a pool of water. My question would be what the best method would be for this can to proppel itself forward using the pressurised water inside the can. Let's also not take into consideration such things as weight or flotation, consider that the height where thrust will be delivered is so near the surface that the pressure there is negligable.

Would the best method of proppulsion be simply a waterjet? Or would it be better to convert to the movement of a screw?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FlemishDuck said:
Or would it be better to convert to the movement of a screw?
If the can is just a cylinder, no.

If you release even a very small amount of water from the can the pressure inside would drop almost immediately to the pressure in the pool .

Making a propulsion device the way that you propose is not a realistic proposition .

There are other ways of making simple propulsion devices for use underwater though - what are you actually trying to do ?

FlemishDuck said:
I'm working on an idea in product development, though being still a fairly new student in this i still am left with a lot of questions, perhaps anyone can aswer?

Say that i have a closed can with pressurised water lying in a pool of water. My question would be what the best method would be for this can to proppel itself forward using the pressurised water inside the can. Let's also not take into consideration such things as weight or flotation, consider that the height where thrust will be delivered is so near the surface that the pressure there is negligable.

Would the best method of proppulsion be simply a waterjet? Or would it be better to convert to the movement of a screw?
The first thing to do is to look at similar devices which have already been built. In your case it sounds a little like a jet ski or a water rocket.

Dale said:
The first thing to do is to look at similar devices which have already been built. In your case it sounds a little like a jet ski or a water rocket.

Or historic designs of torpedoes.

A.T. said:
If the can is just a cylinder, no.

So a jet of water would still be more effecient for propulsion than anything else? (comming from water pressure as energy)

So in what way ius it best used? I know the velocity of the watter passing trough the exit will increase as the exit becomes narrower and i guess you also have to consider local losses.

I would like to know how much i could proppell that can forward irrespective of the limited supply of pressure. I'm a student who has completed courses in fluidmechanics among others and i cna work with pressure or the Bernoulli energy equation for ex, but i don't have the knowledge of dynamics to to calculate how much i would need to propell a light material of my choosing with the amount of pressure i can work with. Is there a way to know how much thrust i need in the velocity of the water that exits into the jet for a given volume/weight/shape with "drag"?

Nidum said:
If you release even a very small amount of water from the can the pressure inside would drop almost immediately to the pressure in the pool .

Quite right ... and yet i want you to go from the idea that this particular can provide's a constant amount of pressure until the moment it runs out completely.

Dale said:

Good tip, that will be usefull for me.

anorlunda said:
Or historic designs of torpedoes.

Torpedo's had engine's afaik. This can can only use the water pressure stored inside.

Last edited:
FlemishDuck said:
Quite right ... and yet i want you to go from the idea that this particular can provide's a constant amount of pressure until the moment it runs out completely.

FlemishDuck said:
Torpedo's had engine's afaik. This can can only use the water pressure stored inside.

It is not going to happen .

To use water as a propulsion medium for any really practical purpose you basically have to pump it continuously using energy from a separate source .

If you have to stay with the idea of the prepressurised can of water then you will need to think about using a spring and piston or gas pressure to maintain the water pressure .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
It is not going to happen .

It's a theoretical question, and i rather simply know how to solve it regardless of what happens.

FlemishDuck said:
I'm working on an idea in product development
FlemishDuck said:
It's a theoretical question

Which is it?

In any event, it won't work. There is no momentum transfer, so there is no force, so there is no motion.

Nidum said:
If you have to stay with the idea of the prepressurised can of water then you will need to think about using a spring and piston or gas pressure to maintain the water pressure .

Thats right. No offense but "how to maintain pressure" was not my question.

Vanadium 50 said:
In any event, it won't work. There is no momentum transfer, so there is no force, so there is no motion.

You mean that regardless of the amount and size of water pressure inside and the lightness of the material it wouldn't propell forward a bit?

You don't get a force unless water exits the can. To the extent that treating it as an incompressible fluid is a good approximation - and it is - it won't.

I'd be inclined to say you'd get the best efficiency by powering a small turbine or piston engine, and using that to power a propeller. That having been said, unless you have a source of compressed air or something to maintain the pressure inside the container, you'll barely get any energy out of this, since energy storage is related to both pressure and volume change. Since water is very close to incompressible, the volume change is very small, and thus, the available energy in pressurized water is very low.

The problem is that water doesn't have elastic characteristics similar to gas. therefore It won't store energy at a different pressure. To think of it, I'm not sure if a still body of water can have more pressure unless it is located at higher height (stored as potential energy).

Basically Boyles Law wouldn't apply

Alternatively: if you heat up the can, and evaporate the water, you'd end up with some gas, which can compress.

Now, If you have pressurised air in with the water, then now your talking. The compressed air will store your energy, if you merely had a can of compressed air, it would do the job. You could even attach a turbine on the exit side of the hole, such that the air being pushed out would spin the turbine giving some more propulsion I suppose. Not too sure.

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, including liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves the analysis of how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings, and how they respond to external forces.

What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles govern the behavior of fluids and are used to analyze and solve problems in fluid mechanics.

What are the applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is used in a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, heat transfer, chemical engineering, and environmental studies. It is also essential in the design and operation of various systems such as pumps, turbines, and pipelines.

What are the different types of fluids?

There are two main types of fluids: liquids and gases. Liquids have a definite volume and take the shape of their container, while gases do not have a definite volume and expand to fill their container. Plasmas, which are ionized gases, are also considered fluids.

What factors affect fluid flow?

The factors that affect fluid flow include viscosity, density, pressure, temperature, and velocity. These properties can affect the behavior of fluids in different ways and are essential in understanding and predicting fluid flow patterns.