Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flynn's Taxonomy as a modern classification

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    Flynn's Taxonomy was a classification of computer architectures published in 1966. Computing has changed a lot since then. Is this taxonomy still useful? What are some of its shortcomings for evaluating modern computing systems?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

The short answer is yes. Why must older concepts have shortcomings? Fujitsu makes very expensive Sparc SIMD chips for Solaris systems, right now.
    PS: if this is homework, which it sounds like, we may want to put it in another forum section.

Taxonomy is pigeon-holing to allow someone to start working on analyzing what they have. It often is used to set expectations or provide parameters or be explanatory for something. And to show how it relates to other similar things - in this case cpu's.

Taxonomy effectively started with Carl von Linne - Linnaeus (1707-1778). It (taxonomy) is actively used in many different disciplines.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    Yes, this is homework. How do I move it?

I'd tend to agree, but the question implies that there is. You can see no weaknesses of the taxonomy?

5. Dec 13, 2016 #4

jim mcnamara

Ok. Taxonomic systems are based on generalizations. Flynn's taxonomy works for the von Neumann model or Havard model cpu and extensions thereof. It does not include other system models, like quantum computing, IMO.

[rant]
    Note the IMO - this is exactly the point with a taxonomic system. It is a generalization. So you get to work out how to apply it to some extent at least. However, I've been in the field for quite a few years - everything I've worked with, overseen the purchase of - fits perfectly. So, from a practical standpoint, today, Flynn works darned well. Practical == I can buy a tested, debugged, working box at a non-astronomical cost.
    [/rant]

Seriously:
    What do your lecture notes say? I would go with whatever slant your prof takes. As I said, the IMO factor counts for something in this endeavor.

6. Dec 13, 2016 #5

Mark44

You can't, but you can ask a mentor to do so, by clicking the Report button. In this case, however, I think that since this is more of a conceptual sort of question, the best place for this thread is right here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted