Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foam Insulation for High Altitude Balloons

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1

I was wondering if anyone here has any good suggestions for foam insulation for high altitude balloons. We're looking at temperatures as low as -60 deg. Any recommendations on supplier as well?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    Insulation for the balloon or for the instrument package? Look up aerofoam. It comes in all varieties of prices and densities.
  4. Jan 23, 2010 #3
    The instrument package. I'm seeing this pink colored/water resistant foam for many of these projects, but none of them specify the materials.
  5. Jan 23, 2010 #4
    The pink dye is commonly used to indicate that a plastic will not cause electrostatic charge to be built-up from friction with air and solid materials. This is accomoplished by the addition of waxy materials to the plastic. The pink color is just a dye added to the compound from which the foam is made.

I suggested aerofoam as a high end material. It is a very lightweight material rivaling any other in insulating value per unit weight.

Commonly, it should be more cost effective to use low density styrofoam.
  6. Jan 27, 2010 #5
    http://www.aspenaerogels.com/markets/industrial.html [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook