Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermally insulating tape at high temperature (350C)

1. Jul 30, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a tape or gel that is very thermally insulating and apply that on my glass slide to serve as a thermally insulating material. The work temperature is 100C to 350C and it should be able to work with clean water. Any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Glass slide" suggests microscope, implies very limited dimensions, or a requirement for low thermal conductivity. Do you have some "rough" idea of thickness, heat transfer rate, the like?

4. Aug 3, 2015 #3
    Although that is a microscope glass slide, I don't use it for microscope...I use it for my thermal measurement. My rough idea is that this tape should be sticky and can endure high temperature (350C). Most tapes I found cannot endure more than 200C. For the thickness, I suppose not too thick? like around 1mm? heat transfer rate needs to be low, since that is the most important requirement...

5. Aug 4, 2015 #4

Lok

How about wrapping it in aluminum foil. Hoping transparency is not a whole surface requirement, in which case a small hole should do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook