Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to understand & manipulate EPS foam extrusion & production

1. Jan 10, 2018 #1
    Hi

I was wondering where I should look and what specifically should I study if i am trying to understand foam extrusion as a chemical process. , why certain defects appear in foam products considering that they are as a result of some extrusion or chemical mistakes. in short, i want to know enough to be able to a control how EPS foam behaves/shapes (to obtain certain properties in desired coefficients/amounts if possible).

I would like to know as well how much studying (time) would this take, if anyone knows, and the level of difficulty of the task.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2018 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What have you found so far in your Google searches?

4. Jan 10, 2018 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps someone has written a book on the subject?

5. Jan 10, 2018 #4
    Nothing relevant really at least Not at the level I wanted/expected. Maybe I am using the wrong terms, after all I am not a chemical/materials engineer. That's all I know and I came here seeking help from those who are knowledgeable in relevant fields of study.

6. Jan 10, 2018 #5
    Maybe, but where do you think I should look? And which terms should I use to look for that ? Can you suggest any names ??

7. Jan 11, 2018 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Jan 11, 2018 #7
  9. Jan 11, 2018 #8
    Any more suggestions ??

10. Jan 11, 2018 #9
    Just mentioning terms that might be related is enough

11. Jan 11, 2018 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Polymer engineering, polymer reactions etc

12. Jan 11, 2018 #11
    You are just using the term "polymer" in different combinations. Please Don't get me wrong I appreciate your help, but you are not adding anything with your latter suggestions/terms.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
  13. Jan 11, 2018 #12
    Do you know terms other than polymer that might be related ?

14. Jan 11, 2018 #13

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Jan 11, 2018 #14
  16. Jan 11, 2018 #15

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What more do you need to know ?

Do you want information about the practical engineering of the moulding equipment or theoretical modelling of the material flow in the moulding process ?

17. Jan 11, 2018 #16
    The latter would be helpful, I think. But I don't think this is enough on its own if you consider my purpose (refer to the question above if you haven't done so already).

Anyways, can you help me with the latter suggestion of yours "theoretical modelling of the material flow in the moulding process" either by suggesting names/links, giving specialized terms or informing me on the topic yourself ??
    Thank!

18. Jan 11, 2018 #17

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In all the basic product making processes the chemical activity is largely finished before the shape forming process begins so I don't entirely understand the question ?

Anyway the shape forming processes all involve variants of the injection moulding principle - there's lot's of information on that available .

I think that the flow of an expanding / cooling / setting flow of foam in a duct could be modelled somehow but it's not going to be easy . Probably within the scope of CFD but a lot of work needed and a lot of validation by experiment .

19. Jan 11, 2018 #18
    How/where should I start sir ?

Also what is CFD ?

20. Jan 11, 2018 #19

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

21. Jan 11, 2018 #20
    Also, from my experience, not all shape forming processes involve injection moulding. I have seen thermoforming(not sure I spelled it correctly) machines.

22. Jan 11, 2018 #21

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Link

23. Jan 11, 2018 #22

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thermoforming is usually a secondary production process . Pre moulded sheets of EP are heated and pressed in dies to form generally simple shapes .

24. Jan 11, 2018 #23
  25. Jan 11, 2018 #24
    I have seen extruders that take in small-sized marble-like chemicals and transform them into straight long sheets of foam. Not sure if this is what you are talking about though.

If that's not what you were talking about then I probably didn't get what you wrote

Thanks!

26. Jan 11, 2018 #25

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

first-phase-color-by-id.png

Not one of mine - this comes from the SymScale Library - but it shows modelling of plastic beads being fed into a plastisicer .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted