Need to understand & manipulate EPS foam extrusion & production

In summary: I think that the flow of an expanding / cooling / setting flow of foam in a duct could be modeled somehow but it's not going to be easy . Probably within the scope of CFD but a lot of work needed and a lot of validation by experiment...Thanks for your help.In summary, this person is looking for information on the practical engineering of the moulding equipment or theoretical modelling of the material flow in the moulding process. Neither of these are going to be easy to obtain, but may be within the scope of CFD.
nour hashem
Hi

I was wondering where I should look and what specifically should I study if i am trying to understand foam extrusion as a chemical process. , why certain defects appear in foam products considering that they are as a result of some extrusion or chemical mistakes. in short, i want to know enough to be able to a control how EPS foam behaves/shapes (to obtain certain properties in desired coefficients/amounts if possible).

I would like to know as well how much studying (time) would this take, if anyone knows, and the level of difficulty of the task.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
nour hashem said:
Hi

I was wondering where I should look and what specifically should I study if i am trying to understand foam extrusion as a chemical process. , why certain defects appear in foam products considering that they are as a result of some extrusion or chemical mistakes. in short, i want to know enough to be able to a control how EPS foam behaves/shapes (to obtain certain properties in desired coefficients/amounts if possible).

I would like to know as well how much studying (time) would this take, if anyone knows, and the level of difficulty of the task.

Thanks.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What have you found so far in your Google searches?

Perhaps someone has written a book on the subject?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What have you found so far in your Google searches?
Nothing relevant really at least Not at the level I wanted/expected. Maybe I am using the wrong terms, after all I am not a chemical/materials engineer. That's all I know and I came here seeking help from those who are knowledgeable in relevant fields of study.

CWatters said:
Perhaps someone has written a book on the subject?
Maybe, but where do you think I should look? And which terms should I use to look for that ? Can you suggest any names ??

Any more suggestions ??

nour hashem said:
Any more suggestions ??
Just mentioning terms that might be related is enough

Polymer engineering, polymer reactions etc

CWatters said:
Polymer engineering, polymer reactions etc
You are just using the term "polymer" in different combinations. Please Don't get me wrong I appreciate your help, but you are not adding anything with your latter suggestions/terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
nour hashem said:
You are just using the term "polymer" in different combinations. Plz Don't get me wrong I appreciate your help, but you are not adding anything with your latter suggestions/terms.
Do you know terms other than polymer that might be related ?

What more do you need to know ?

Do you want information about the practical engineering of the moulding equipment or theoretical modelling of the material flow in the moulding process ?

Nidum said:
What more do you need to know ?

Do you want information about the practical engineering of the moulding equipment or theoretical modelling of the material flow in the moulding process ?
The latter would be helpful, I think. But I don't think this is enough on its own if you consider my purpose (refer to the question above if you haven't done so already).

Anyways, can you help me with the latter suggestion of yours "theoretical modelling of the material flow in the moulding process" either by suggesting names/links, giving specialized terms or informing me on the topic yourself ??
Thank!

In all the basic product making processes the chemical activity is largely finished before the shape forming process begins so I don't entirely understand the question ?

Anyway the shape forming processes all involve variants of the injection moulding principle - there's lot's of information on that available .

I think that the flow of an expanding / cooling / setting flow of foam in a duct could be modeled somehow but it's not going to be easy . Probably within the scope of CFD but a lot of work needed and a lot of validation by experiment .

Nidum said:
In all the basic product making processes the chemical activity is largely finished before the shape forming process begins so I don't entirely understand the question ?

Anyway the shape forming processes all involve variants of the injection moulding principle - there's lot's of information on that available .

I think that the flow of an expanding / cooling / setting flow of foam in a duct could be modeled somehow but it's not going to be easy . Probably within the scope of CFD but a lot of work needed and a lot of validation by experiment .
How/where should I start sir ?

Also what is CFD ?

Nidum said:

Also, from my experience, not all shape forming processes involve injection moulding. I have seen thermoforming(not sure I spelled it correctly) machines.

nour hashem said:
Also what is CFD ?

http://www.solidworks.co.uk/sw/products/simulation/computational-fluid-dynamics.htm

Thermoforming is usually a secondary production process . Pre moulded sheets of EP are heated and pressed in dies to form generally simple shapes .

Nidum said:
Thermoforming is usually a secondary production process . Pre moulded sheets of EP are heated and pressed in dies to form generally simple shapes .
I have seen extruders that take in small-sized marble-like chemicals and transform them into straight long sheets of foam. Not sure if this is what you are talking about though.

If that's not what you were talking about then I probably didn't get what you wrote

Thanks!

first-phase-color-by-id.png

Not one of mine - this comes from the SymScale Library - but it shows modelling of plastic beads being fed into a plastisicer .

Attachments

• first-phase-color-by-id.png
    first-phase-color-by-id.png
    79 KB · Views: 1,033
Likes berkeman
Nidum said:
View attachment 218288

Not one of mine - this comes from the SymScale Library - but it shows modelling of plastic beads being fed into a plastisicer .
Is there a specific program or is it a machine that produces such image/analysis

Nidum said:
View attachment 218288

Also, what should I study to be able to understand, analyze and manipulate such things ??

Perhaps search Google Books for

Blowing Agents and Foaming Processes (Conference Proceedings)

Looks like a bunch of papers on EPS and other similar foams.

Hi, You should contact technical people at BASF or Monsanto who developed and manage production quality and applications. Simulation of melt flow is complex but well established wrt mold design to improve economics. Foam properties are closely related to foam density; compressive strength etc. So look at extrusion, injection molding and block molding of EPS and molding of the bead (into fruit boxes etc.). The tech sheets are usually readily available. If stumped talk to a local user of EPS raw materials or your local Plastics Institute. There are not books collecting this vast material in one place.

1. What is EPS foam extrusion?

EPS foam extrusion is a manufacturing process used to create expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam products. It involves melting polystyrene beads and then expanding them using a blowing agent to create a foam material that can be molded into various shapes and sizes.

2. How does EPS foam extrusion work?

EPS foam extrusion works by feeding polystyrene beads into an extruder machine, where they are heated and melted. The melted polystyrene is then forced through a die, which determines the shape and size of the foam product. As the melted polystyrene is extruded, a blowing agent is added to expand the foam, which is then cooled and cut into the desired shapes.

3. What are the benefits of EPS foam extrusion?

There are several benefits of EPS foam extrusion, including its lightweight nature, excellent insulation properties, and durability. EPS foam is also resistant to moisture, chemicals, and pests, making it a versatile material for a variety of applications such as packaging, construction, and insulation.

4. What factors affect EPS foam extrusion and production?

The quality and consistency of EPS foam extrusion and production can be influenced by various factors, including the type and quality of polystyrene beads, the extrusion temperature, the type of blowing agent used, and the design and condition of the extrusion equipment. Environmental conditions such as humidity and air pressure can also impact the process.

5. How can EPS foam extrusion and production be manipulated?

EPS foam extrusion and production can be manipulated by adjusting the extrusion temperature, changing the type and amount of blowing agent, and modifying the design of the extrusion die. Additionally, implementing quality control measures, such as regular maintenance of equipment and monitoring environmental conditions, can also help ensure consistent and high-quality production.