1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal length of magnifying glass for VR?

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1
    Hi the standard focal distance seems to be 45mm for vr headsets such as google cardboard. In other words theres a pair of convex lenses in front of your eyes with the screen being 45mm away from the lenses ... im not sure why you cant use different lenses to reduce the focal distance to the screen whereby making the whole rig shorter and .... more comfortable to wear.

First does anyone know why this is the distance thats being used as the standard? and second can someone dumb down the calculation to work out what would make a shorter focal length such as 25mm instead of 45mm.

I apologise for any grammar or typos im using the wifes phone and its too small for my fingers

Kind regards for any answers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I haven't played with any of those, but my guess is that the optical system puts the image plane at (negative) infinity: your eyes will be relaxed when viewing the image, which makes using the device less tiring on your eyes. Most eyepieces work that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook