Focal length of magnifying glass for VR?

In summary, the standard focal distance for VR headsets, such as Google Cardboard, is 45mm. This is because the optical system places the image plane at negative infinity, making it less tiring for the eyes. It is not possible to use different lenses to reduce the focal distance to the screen, as this would make the device less comfortable to wear. Some may wonder why 45mm is the chosen distance and how to calculate a shorter focal length, such as 25mm. However, this information is not readily available and may be difficult to understand without prior knowledge of optical systems.
dwaring28720
Hi the standard focal distance seems to be 45mm for vr headsets such as google cardboard. In other words there's a pair of convex lenses in front of your eyes with the screen being 45mm away from the lenses ... I am not sure why you can't use different lenses to reduce the focal distance to the screen whereby making the whole rig shorter and ... more comfortable to wear.

First does anyone know why this is the distance that's being used as the standard? and second can someone dumb down the calculation to work out what would make a shorter focal length such as 25mm instead of 45mm.

I apologise for any grammar or typos I am using the wifes phone and its too small for my fingers

Kind regards for any answers

Science news on Phys.org
I haven't played with any of those, but my guess is that the optical system puts the image plane at (negative) infinity: your eyes will be relaxed when viewing the image, which makes using the device less tiring on your eyes. Most eyepieces work that way.

1. What is the focal length of a magnifying glass for VR?

The focal length of a magnifying glass for VR is the distance between the lens and the virtual image created by the lens. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and determines the level of magnification and the field of view for the VR experience.

2. How does the focal length affect the VR experience?

The focal length of a magnifying glass for VR plays a crucial role in determining the level of immersion and realism in the VR experience. A longer focal length results in a narrower field of view and a higher level of magnification, while a shorter focal length provides a wider field of view and less magnification.

3. What is the ideal focal length for a VR magnifying glass?

The ideal focal length for a VR magnifying glass depends on the specific VR experience and the user's preferences. Generally, a focal length of 50-75mm is considered ideal for a comfortable and immersive VR experience.

4. Can the focal length be adjusted in a VR magnifying glass?

Yes, some VR magnifying glasses allow for the adjustment of the focal length to cater to different users and VR experiences. This can be done through physical adjustments or through virtual settings in the VR software.

5. How does the focal length of a magnifying glass for VR compare to a traditional magnifying glass?

The focal length of a magnifying glass for VR is typically shorter than that of a traditional magnifying glass, as it is designed for closer viewing distances. Additionally, the focal length for VR is often adjustable, while traditional magnifying glasses have a fixed focal length.