Follow up for question i found on this forum please read

• Thread starter atotheizzl09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the link provided leads to a problem with six parts. For part A, the force and mass are given, and the acceleration is calculated. For part B, a specific equation is recommended. For part C, the answer for the given calculation is confirmed. For part D, another equation is suggested. For part E, the final speed is confirmed to be zero. And for part F, the formula for calculating the change in momentum is explained.
atotheizzl09
follow up for question i found on this forum! please read!

1. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=93375

above is a link to the problem

2. For part A, the force when x is at 6 meters is 4, and the mass is 0.20 kg, so you divide: (4 / 0.20) and get 20 as the acceleration of the particle when it's displacement x is at 6 meters?

For part B, would you use the equation v = v0 + (1/2atsquared) ?

For part C, i got the answer of 48 J when i multiplied 4x12.

For part D, would you use the equation v = dt?

For part E, i am not sure, but is the final speed zero?

For part F, change in momentum = mv(final) - mv(initial). i am just not sure of what to plug in for this one.

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A, yes, you have the correct calculation. For part B, yes, you would use the equation v = v0 + (1/2at^2). For part C, yes, that is correct. For part D, yes, you would use the equation v = d/t. For part E, yes, the final speed should be zero, as the particle has come to rest. For part F, you can calculate the change in momentum by plugging in the initial velocity (given in the problem) and the final velocity of 0 m/s. The formula would be mv(final) - mv(initial), where m is the mass of the particle and v is the velocity.

I would first like to commend you for seeking help and clarification on this forum. It shows your dedication to understanding the problem and finding the correct solution.

For part A, your calculation and answer of 20 m/s^2 for the acceleration at x = 6 meters is correct. This can also be verified by using the formula F = ma, where F is the force (4 N) and m is the mass (0.20 kg), and solving for a.

For part B, yes, you can use the equation v = v0 + (1/2)at^2 to calculate the final velocity at any given time. Just make sure to use the correct values for initial velocity (v0) and time (t).

For part C, your answer of 48 J for the work done is also correct. This can be calculated by using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

For part D, the correct equation to use is v = at. This will give you the final velocity at any given time, t.

For part E, the final speed will indeed be zero at the point where the particle reaches its maximum displacement (x = 12 meters). This is because the particle has come to a stop and has no more velocity.

For part F, your formula for change in momentum is correct. Just make sure to use the correct values for final and initial momentum (mv) at the given points.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to seek assistance when needed. As a scientist, it is important to constantly seek knowledge and understanding. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of following up on a question from this forum?

The purpose of following up on a question from this forum is to gather more information, clarify any confusion, and possibly provide a solution or answer to the original question.

2. How do I properly follow up on a question I found on this forum?

To properly follow up on a question, you can reply to the original question with your additional information or answer. You can also ask for more clarification if needed.

3. Is it necessary to follow up on a question I found on this forum?

No, it is not necessary to follow up on a question, but it is highly encouraged as it can help improve the quality of the discussion and provide a better understanding of the topic.

4. Can I follow up on a question that has already been answered?

Yes, you can follow up on a question even if it has already been answered. This can help provide further insight or provide a different perspective on the topic.

5. How long should I wait before following up on a question I found on this forum?

There is no set time frame for when you should follow up on a question. It is best to follow up when you have additional information or a solution to contribute to the discussion. However, it is recommended to not wait too long as the original question may become irrelevant or the discussion may have ended.