How do I determine acceleration and speed from a force vs. displacement graph?

In summary, the given conversation discusses a problem involving a 0.20 kg object moving along a straight line with a varying net force. The object starts from rest at x=0 and t=0 and is displaced a distance of 20m. The conversation asks for the acceleration at x=6m, time taken for the object to be displaced the first 12m, work done by the net force in displacing the object the first 12m, speed at x=12m, final speed at x=20m, and change in momentum from x=12m to x=20m. The answers are as follows: a. The acceleration is given by the second law, a=F/m, and by
M&M
I need help with this problem...please help me. I'm sorry the axis of the graph look a little weird...my scanner is not working so I have to make the graph myself T___T

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8807/apphysics3cq.jpg

A 0.20 kg object moves along a straight line. The net force acting on the object varies with the object's displacement as shown in the graph above. The object starts from rest at displacement x=0 and t=0 and is displaced a distance of 20m. Determine each of the following.

a. The acceleration of the particle when it's displacement x is 6m

b. The time taken for the object to be displaced the first 12

c. The amount of work done by the net force in displacing the object the first 12m

For this one, I know W=Fx so I just take W= 4(12)= 48 J

d. The speed of the object at the displacement x=12

e.The final speed of the object at displacemnt x=20 m

f. The change in momentum of the object as it is displaced from x=12m to x=20m

I think I can work this out by using p= mv*final* - mv *initial*

For the whole problem..well, I know the area of the graph will be work...and W=Fx but I still don't know how it's related to acceleration or speed though? I'm just confuse with how to find the acceleration and speed. Once I have figure it out I think I'll know how to do the rest of the problem. So please help me just a little bit ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi M&M

The acceleration is given by the second law [tex]a=\frac{F}{m}[/tex]. You can divide the F(x) graph by m and you obtain a(x).

As for velocity you can apply [tex]v=\sqrt{2ax}[/tex] (Galilei) until x=12 m. Beyond this limit the acceleration is decreasing linearly so you can use the same Galilei's law with an average acceleration:
[tex]a_m=\frac{a(12m)+a(x)}{2}[/tex].
Then the velocity in any point at [tex]x>12m[/tex] is given by
[tex]v^2(x)=v^2(12m)+2a_m (x-12m)[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for answering my question..I figure out all of them except for

e. which is:

The final speed of the object at displacemnt x=20 m

So if I want to find the acceleration when x=20, I take:

a= F/m and since F=0 then a= 0 too

then I plug it into the last equation and solve for v but since a = 0 then v= 0 too right since the object start from rest?? I hope you understand what I mean (_ _ ")

I always have a feeling that it's wrong when my answer is 0 ^_^

1. What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, while energy is the ability of an object to do work. In other words, work is the process of using energy to move an object, whereas energy is the potential to do work.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

4. What is momentum and how is it related to energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Momentum is related to energy because an object's momentum can be used to calculate its kinetic energy, using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2.

5. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.