1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For this instant calculate the magnitudes of the force F and torque M

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The parallelogram linkage shown moves in the vertical plane with the uniform 6.8-kg bar EF attached to the plate at E by a pin which is welded both to the plate and to the bar. A torque (not shown) is applied to link AB through its lower pin to drive the links in a clockwise direction. When θ reaches 58°, the links have an angular acceleration and an angular velocity of 6.6 rad/s2 and 2.0 rad/s, respectively. For this instant calculate the magnitudes of the force F and torque M supported by the pin at E.

I have attached an image of the question

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

On the attached image I've added in red what I believe that forces acting on the system are. But aside from this I'm unsure how else to begin on this problem. I suspect that a normal and tangent coordinate system may be beneficial here but I'm not sure where best to place the origin of the system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=687177

attachment.php?attachmentid=58088&d=1366596732.png
    Except for mg, the forces you have labeled are irrelevant for solving this problem.

First: Find the motion (velocity and acceleration) of point A at the instant indicated.

How does that compare to the velocity and acceleration of point E ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted