For this instant calculate the magnitudes of the force F and torque M

In summary: Second: Find the direction and magnitude of the force at A that produces the motion observed.Third: Find the direction and magnitude of the force at E that produces the motion observed.In summary, the parallelogram linkage shown has a uniform 6.8-kg bar EF attached to the plate at E by a pin. A torque is applied to drive the links in a clockwise direction, causing the links to have an angular acceleration of 6.6 rad/s2 and an angular velocity of 2.0 rad/s when θ = 58°. The forces labeled on the system are irrelevant. To solve the problem, the motion of point A must be determined, along with the direction and magnitude of the forces at A and
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The parallelogram linkage shown moves in the vertical plane with the uniform 6.8-kg bar EF attached to the plate at E by a pin which is welded both to the plate and to the bar. A torque (not shown) is applied to link AB through its lower pin to drive the links in a clockwise direction. When θ reaches 58°, the links have an angular acceleration and an angular velocity of 6.6 rad/s2 and 2.0 rad/s, respectively. For this instant calculate the magnitudes of the force F and torque M supported by the pin at E.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On the attached image I've added in red what I believe that forces acting on the system are. But aside from this I'm unsure how else to begin on this problem. I suspect that a normal and tangent coordinate system may be beneficial here but I'm not sure where best to place the origin of the system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 6.023.png
    dyn 6.023.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 989
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=687177

Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

The parallelogram linkage shown moves in the vertical plane with the uniform 6.8-kg bar EF attached to the plate at E by a pin which is welded both to the plate and to the bar. A torque (not shown) is applied to link AB through its lower pin to drive the links in a clockwise direction. When θ reaches 58°, the links have an angular acceleration and an angular velocity of 6.6 rad/s2 and 2.0 rad/s, respectively. For this instant calculate the magnitudes of the force F and torque M supported by the pin at E.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On the attached image I've added in red what I believe that forces acting on the system are. But aside from this I'm unsure how else to begin on this problem. I suspect that a normal and tangent coordinate system may be beneficial here but I'm not sure where best to place the origin of the system.

Any advice would be appreciated.
attachment.php?attachmentid=58088&d=1366596732.png

Except for mg, the forces you have labeled are irrelevant for solving this problem.

First: Find the motion (velocity and acceleration) of point A at the instant indicated.

How does that compare to the velocity and acceleration of point E ?

1. What is the meaning of "For this instant"?

"For this instant" refers to a specific moment in time that is being analyzed. It is a common phrase used in scientific experiments or calculations to indicate that the values being calculated are relevant to a specific point in time.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of force (F)?

The magnitude of force (F) can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where m is the mass of an object and a is the acceleration. In other words, force is equal to the product of mass and acceleration. The unit of force is Newtons (N).

3. What is torque (M) and how is it calculated?

Torque (M) is a measure of the twisting or rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated using the formula M = F x d, where F is the force applied and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit of torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

4. Why is it important to calculate both force (F) and torque (M)?

Calculating both force and torque is important because they are both key factors in determining the motion of an object. Force determines the acceleration of an object, while torque determines its rotational motion. Understanding both values can help predict how an object will move and how much stress it can withstand.

5. How can the magnitudes of force (F) and torque (M) be used in real-world applications?

The magnitudes of force and torque are used in various real-world applications such as engineering, mechanics, and physics. They are essential in designing structures and machines, as well as understanding the dynamics of moving objects. For example, calculating the force and torque on a bridge can help determine its stability, while calculating the force and torque on a vehicle's wheels can help predict its acceleration and handling.