1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what values is this function continuous

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]F(x) \ = \ (x^{2})^{\frac{\alpha}{2}} \left[ \frac{\alpha sin \left( \frac{1}{x} \right)}{x} \ - \ \frac{cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right)}{x^{2}} \right] \ if \ x \neq 0[/itex]

[itex]F(x) \ = \ 0 \ if \ x \ = \ 0[/itex]

Question basically says, for what values of alpha is this function continuous

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My mind is torn between either: α = 0, for all α or some constriction on α being EVEN or ODD

thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2
    You need the ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} F(x) = F(0) = 0## in order for the function to be continuous.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    How do you do that for functions which have "two parts" to them?

Also, as x starts getting close to 0 everything is going to go crazy because of all the dividing by x's.

I remember doing a question a while back which was basically "is f(x) = sin(1/x) continuous at 0 if f(0) = 0?" I believe the answer was no because of sequential continuity?

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

First, concentrate on the two terms inside the bracket. Can you see a reason to say that one of them makes the other irrelevant?
    Next, assuming that ab is defined to mean the positive real value when a > 0 and b > 0, can you see a way to simplify ##\left(x^2\right)^{\frac{\alpha}{2}}## that's valid for α > 0 and all x?

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    The main difference between the two terms in the brackets are:
    1) the use of α in the sin term
    2) the cos term is over a higher power of x

Possibly the cos term is irrelevant due to it not depending on α which is what in looking for, for continuity.

Or possibly the sin term is irrelevant as it tends to ∞ slower than the cos term?

The reason as two why it is (x^2)^(α/2) is because it was originally |x|^α

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you get if you collect them into a single fraction? Compare the two terms in the numerator. Can you see that one of them becomes irrelevant when compared to the other as x tends to 0?
    I feel the |x|α form will be the easier to work with.

8. Feb 10, 2013 #7
    Sorry in advance for lack of latex, on a mobile.

Combining brackets gives us:

[α(x^2)sin(1/x) - xcos(1/x)]/[x^3]

I can't see how one term is particularly irrelevant.

As for |x|^α: by all means use that notation, I only changed it as that particular function [F(x)] actually came from finding the derivative of another function and I found it easier using the other notation.

If you could explain why that notation would be easier to work with would be helpful :)

9. Feb 10, 2013 #8
    Looking back, as x tends to 0 the cos term must become irrelevant.
    e.g. If x = 0.000001,
    x >> x^2

10. Feb 11, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a little simpler than that: [αxsin(1/x) - cos(1/x)]/x2
    What does each of the terms in the numerator do as x tends to 0?

11. Feb 11, 2013 #10
    Well the sin term will tend to 0 but the cos term will oscillate like crazy

12. Feb 11, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, so you can ignore the sin term. And of course x2 = |x|2. So what do can you reduce the whole expression to?

13. Feb 11, 2013 #12
    I believe I got it to reduce to [(x^2)^(α/2 - 1)][-cos(1/x)]

14. Feb 12, 2013 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, but I still think you're better off with the form [|x|α-2][-cos(1/x)].
    You've already described what -cos(1/x) will do as x tends to 0. So what do you need |x|α-2 for the whole to converge to 0?

15. Feb 12, 2013 #14
    Would it not converge to 0 for any α >= 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook