1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For which value of a does int e^(ax) cos(x) dx converge?

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For which value the definite integral (0 to infinity) e^ax cos(x) dx converges? Calculate for the value of a.

Mathieu

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    You must show an attempt at a solution. Forum rules (and plus I'm lazy).
    Now, how do you evaluate an improper integral?

Casey

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    It depends if it's a type 1 or 2. For type 1 you must calculate the integral by replacing the infinity by a variable and then calculate the limit using this variable. For type 2 with a discontinuity you must split the integral in two parts and then calculate the integral using the same way than for type 1.

Mathieu

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It is the first type. So replace the infinity with a variable, and evaluate the integral.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    ok the integral is:

(((a cos(x))/((a^2)+1)) + (sin(x)/((a^2)+1))) e^ax

but how do I calculate the limit?

Mathieu

7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I haven't calculated the indefinite integral myself, so I am not sure if yours is correct, but now your integral was the difference of that expression evaluated at b, as b goes to infinity, and that expression evaluated at 0.

8. Dec 5, 2007 #7
    I understand the b to infinity part but I do not understand the expression evaluated at 0 part.

Mathieu

9. Dec 5, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The Fundamental theorem of calculus states roughly that [tex]\int^b_a f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex] where F'(x) = f(x). So that evaluated at 0 part corresponds to the -F(a) part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?