For which value of a does int e^(ax) cos(x) dx converge?

• Thread starter mat145
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx Value
In summary, the definite integral (0 to infinity) e^ax cos(x) dx converges for all values of a. To calculate the integral, replace infinity with a variable and evaluate the limit. Using the Fundamental theorem of calculus, the expression evaluated at 0 corresponds to the -F(a) part.
mat145

Homework Statement

For which value the definite integral (0 to infinity) e^ax cos(x) dx converges? Calculate for the value of a.

Mathieu

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show an attempt at a solution. Forum rules (and plus I'm lazy).
Now, how do you evaluate an improper integral?

Casey

It depends if it's a type 1 or 2. For type 1 you must calculate the integral by replacing the infinity by a variable and then calculate the limit using this variable. For type 2 with a discontinuity you must split the integral in two parts and then calculate the integral using the same way than for type 1.

Mathieu

It is the first type. So replace the infinity with a variable, and evaluate the integral.

ok the integral is:

(((a cos(x))/((a^2)+1)) + (sin(x)/((a^2)+1))) e^ax

but how do I calculate the limit?

Mathieu

I haven't calculated the indefinite integral myself, so I am not sure if yours is correct, but now your integral was the difference of that expression evaluated at b, as b goes to infinity, and that expression evaluated at 0.

I understand the b to infinity part but I do not understand the expression evaluated at 0 part.

Mathieu

The Fundamental theorem of calculus states roughly that [tex]\int^b_a f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex] where F'(x) = f(x). So that evaluated at 0 part corresponds to the -F(a) part.

1. What is the definition of convergence in this context?

In mathematics, a series or integral is said to converge if its terms or integrands approach a definite value, usually referred to as the limit. In simpler terms, it means that the series or integral has a well-defined and finite value.

2. How is the value of a related to the convergence of the integral?

The value of a is directly related to the convergence of the integral. If a is equal to 0, the integral will always converge. However, if a is greater than 0, the integral will only converge for certain values of a. If a is less than 0, the integral will not converge for any value of a.

3. Can you provide an example of a value of a that would make the integral converge?

Yes, for example, if a = -1, the integral would converge to e^(-x)sin(x). Other values of a that would make the integral converge include a = -2, a = -3, and so on.

4. Is there a general rule for determining the values of a that would make the integral converge?

Yes, there is a general rule for determining the values of a that would make the integral converge. If the value of a is between -1 and 1, the integral will converge. If a is equal to -1 or 1, the integral will converge conditionally. If a is less than -1 or greater than 1, the integral will not converge.

5. What would happen to the integral if the value of a is not within the range for convergence?

If the value of a is not within the range for convergence, the integral will not converge. This means that the integral will not have a well-defined and finite value. It may either diverge to infinity or oscillate between different values.