Force between two gates where they touch in a canal lock.

In summary: How can you use this information to determine the contact force?In summary, in this conversation, the problem of finding the contact force between two lock gates was discussed. The solution involved using the formula for hydrostatic pressure and the moment on each hinge. However, this approach was deemed incorrect and instead, the problem was suggested to be approached by drawing a free body diagram and considering the hydrostatic pressure at different depths. The average pressure on the gate was also discussed as a key factor in finding the contact force.
powerr3

Homework Statement

The attached plan view of a pair of lock gates. Each gate is supported on hinges at the edge of the channel. The gates are retaining 2m depth of water on the hatched side. What is the contact force between the gates where they touch in the middle? Density of water = 1000kg/m^3

Homework Equations

Pa = ρgh
Pa=Force/Area
Moment on each hinge = Fv*dh + Fh*dv

The Attempt at a Solution

Pa = ρgh = 19620Pa
F = PA = 94176N
Moment on each hinge = 14.2kNm
Thats all I got. I don't know how to get the contact force, and I'm not sure if what I've done is right. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 09.14.50.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 09.14.50.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
You should explain the formulas you use.
Moment on each hinge = Fv*dh + Fh*dv
If that is supposed to mean horizontal and vertical, I would not use this approach. Which forces are acting on the gates? In which directions do they point?
Pa = ρgh = 19620Pa
What did you use for h here? Is the pressure the same everywhere? If not, at which point do you have this pressure? Can you get any meaningful force with F=PA then?
Moment on each hinge = 14.2kNm
How did you calculate that?

If you want to find the contact force where the gates come together, draw a free body diagram of one gate. The contact force must be sufficient to keep the gate in equilibrium.

mfb;
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Yes I do mean Horizontal and Vertical. I chose this method and resolved the force of the water acting on the gate, so the pressure and Force I found in the first two equations is the average acting on the gate.
I used 2m for h as the question wasn't clear whether the gate was fully submerged or not.
I think my approach is wrong in general.

SteamKing:
For equilibrium, the contact force goes towards the meeting point of the gates, but what is my opposite force? More guidance would be life saving!

SteamKing: Is my answer for Force of water correct? and do I apply that to my free body diagram?

so the pressure and Force I found in the first two equations is the average acting on the gate.
They are not.
I used 2m for h as the question wasn't clear whether the gate was fully submerged or not.
The water goes from 0m depth to 2m depth.
I think my approach is wrong in general.
I would not split it in horizontal and vertical forces, that just makes calculations more complicated. But torque around the hinges is the right approach.
but what is my opposite force?
The water, of course. No, your answer there is not correct.

mfb: How do I find the Torque when I don't know the applied force (which Is what I am looking for?)

powerr3 said:
SteamKing: Is my answer for Force of water correct? and do I apply that to my free body diagram?

You should draw a separate diagram showing of a vertical section of the gate. The pressure you calculated in the OP is the the hydrostatic pressure at a depth of 2 meters. What is the pressure at a depth of 0 m? What's the average pressure on the gate?

What is the force between two gates in a canal lock?

The force between two gates in a canal lock is the force that is exerted on the gates due to the water pressure. This force can vary depending on the water level and the size of the gates.

How is the force between two gates in a canal lock calculated?

The force between two gates in a canal lock can be calculated using the formula F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the water pressure, and A is the area of the gates. The water pressure can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water.

What factors can affect the force between two gates in a canal lock?

The force between two gates in a canal lock can be affected by several factors, including the water level, the size and shape of the gates, and the angle at which the gates meet. The force can also be affected by external forces such as wind or currents.

Why is it important to consider the force between two gates in a canal lock?

The force between two gates in a canal lock is important to consider because it can determine the stability and safety of the gates. If the force is too great, it can cause the gates to malfunction or even fail, resulting in potential damage to the canal and surrounding areas.

How can the force between two gates in a canal lock be managed?

The force between two gates in a canal lock can be managed by adjusting the water level, ensuring proper gate design and maintenance, and using additional supports or mechanisms to distribute the force evenly. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the force as needed to maintain the safety and functionality of the canal lock.