Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force carrier particles i.e. gravitons, photons

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello;

How do force carrier particles work? For example, if I drop an object, the force of gravity is carried by gravitons. Does this mean that there is a long stream of gravitons underneath/all around the object? Because the wave would need to be carried through the medium of gravitons. Is this true?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Well, this is all hypothetical, so it may not be true. I'm guessing there isn't much evidence for force carrier particles?

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They're a mathematical convenience.

The Hamiltonian operator of the force is an infinite sum of products of a finite number of creation and annihilation operators of particles.

For the electromagnetic force between two electrons, for example, or between an electron and a photon, those operators are of electrons and photons.

But that doesn't mean that any electron or photon is actually annihilated or created.

The photon being a "carrier" or "mediator" for the electromagnetic force only means that its operators appear in the Hamiltonian, not that they themselves actually appear in the interaction. :smile:

5. Mar 17, 2010 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I'm confused.... they're there, but also not there?

I have never heard of the Hamiltonian operator, I will google it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook