Force of 5N applied to 5kg block on table w/ μk = .1

In summary: I can see that the block will not move. If I increase the applied force by 2N, the block will bIn summary, the net force acting on a 5kg block on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1 and an applied force of 5N is 0N. Therefore, the acceleration is 0 and the velocity remains constant. Without any additional information, it is impossible to determine the velocity of the block.
Ocata

Homework Statement

A force of 5N is being applied to a 5kg block is on a table. The μk = .1.
What is the velocity of the block?

Homework Equations

(μk)(Fn) = Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

(.1)(50N) = 5N of friction.

The net force is 5N - 5N = 0NFrom here, I believe it is impossible to find the velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ocata said:
From here, I believe it is impossible to find the velocity.
Why's that?

Likes Ocata
gneill said:
Why's that?
Because net force = 0, thus F/m = 0N/5kg = 0 acceleration.
With 0 acceleration, velocity is constant. In order to solve for velocity, you need to know the distance and time over which the block traveled.

The only information I have available is the applied force, friction force, net force, and coefficient of kinetic friction. I don't know how find velocity from this information.

I want say it's completely possible, but velocity is v = d/t. How can I turn the available information into distance and velocity values?

Ocata said:
Because net force = 0, thus F/m = 0N/5kg = 0 acceleration.
With 0 acceleration, velocity is constant. In order to solve for velocity, you need to know the distance and time over which the block traveled.

The only information I have available is the applied force, friction force, net force, and coefficient of kinetic friction. I don't know how find velocity from this information.

I want say it's completely possible, but velocity is v = d/t. How can I turn the available information into distance and velocity values?
let the distance be x
and apply work-energy theorem

Likes Ocata
You say the velocity is constant because the net force acting is zero. That's true! So you can state that the velocity is equal to the initial velocity, whatever that might be. Now, is there any hint in the problem statement that might lead you to a value for the initial velocity? Note that it might be a subtle hint...

Likes Ocata
lep11 said:
let the distance be x
and apply work-energy theorem
If I let distance be x, will I not have two unknowns in one equation? Also should Force be Net Force or Applied Force. If net force is used, then since net force is zero, it would make it impossible to determine velocity, right? But even using applied force, I get different velocity values when I plug in random distance values as I believe you suggested. Not exactly sure what to make of it:

[itex] F*d = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} [/itex]
[itex] 5N(x) = \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} [/itex] now I would have to solve for both x and v?

Even if I put in any number for distance, say 10 meters. v = [itex] sqrt{20}[/itex]
But, if I let distance be 100 meters, v = [itex] sqrt{200}[/itex]
So just the distance itself changes the resulting velocity. But velocity is supposed to be constant.

gneill said:
You say the velocity is constant because the net force acting is zero. That's true! So you can state that the velocity is equal to the initial velocity, whatever that might be. Now, is there any hint in the problem statement that might lead you to a value for the initial velocity? Note that it might be a subtle hint...

Hmm...I'm looking at the coefficient of kinetic friction, mass of the object, and applied force of 5N. The only additional information I can gather from this is that the acceleration is zero. I can't do anything with net force because net force being zero turns any formula to zero. Kinematic equations don't seem to work because I don't have position, time, or velocity values. Even when I consider velocity to be equal to initial velocity or even final velocity, the fact that I don't have any information about distance or time, I can't solve for velocity in a kinematic equation.

Zero is a perfectly good value :wink:

gneill said:
Zero is a perfectly good value :wink:
[itex] F*d = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} - \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} [/itex]

[itex] 0N*d = \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} - \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} [/itex]

[itex] 0 = \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} - \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} = \frac{1}{2}(5kg)v^{2} [/itex]

[itex] v = v[/itex] ?

Unless you're given the initial velocity it's not worth pursuing any calculations if the net force acting is zero. No change in the current state can happen. In fact, you were not given a time interval either. The only thing you can conclude is that the velocity remains unchanged from some (unknown) initial value.

Suppose I push the block with more than 5N, say 10N. The net force will be 5N. The acceleration will be Fnet/m = 5N/5kg = 1m/s^2 = a.

If I push the block with 10N of force for 10 seconds, then it can at least be determined that the speed of the block has increased 10m/s regardless of its initial velocity.

For instance:

If initial velocity is 0m/s:
[itex] vf = at + v0 [/itex] = [itex] vf = (1m/s^2)(10s) + 0 = 10m/s [/itex]

If the initial velocity is 5m/s:
[itex] vf = at + v0 [/itex] = [itex] vf = (1m/s^2)(10s) + 5m/s = 15m/s [/itex]

So the acceleration of 1m/s^2 for 10 seconds always produces an increase in velocity of 10m/s from whichever speed it started at.

So an applied force of 6N can produce many different velocities depending on how much time the force of 6N is applied and the initial velocity.

However, it seems as though 5N will produce only 1 specific velocity, regardless of how much time 5N is applied because acceleration will be 0.

However the velocity might be different depending on the initial velocity. Previously, I was assuming there could only be one value for initial velocity, but now I realize that initial velocity can be any value. Thank you.

So now my thinking is like this, for example:

Suppose the 5kg block is at rest on the table with μk = .1 and for simplicity, suppose there is no static friction.

So if I apply a force ever so gently to the block and increase the applied force by 1N every 10 seconds, the block will accelerate. And once the applied force of 5N is reached, the block will begin to travel at a constant velocity. Let's call it V1.

Then, I make the block stationary again. I apply a force and increase the force at a faster rate, perhaps increasing by 1N every 5 seconds. The block will accelerate over this time and once I reach an applied force of 5N, the block will begin to travel at a constant velocity, but not the same constant velocity as V1, perhaps V2.

To stress the example, if the 5kg block starts at rest again, and I apply 1N for 100 seconds, then jump all the way to 5N in 1 second, then the block will be traveling at a constant velocity but at a different velocity than V1 and V2.

Would this be correct?

Ocata said:
Suppose I push the block with more than 5N, say 10N. The net force will be 5N. The acceleration will be Fnet/m = 5N/5kg = 1m/s^2 = a.

If I push the block with 10N of force for 10 seconds, then it can at least be determined that the speed of the block has increased 10m/s regardless of its initial velocity.

For instance:

If initial velocity is 0m/s:
[itex] vf = at + v0 [/itex] = [itex] vf = (1m/s^2)(10s) + 0 = 10m/s [/itex]

If the initial velocity is 5m/s:
[itex] vf = at + v0 [/itex] = [itex] vf = (1m/s^2)(10s) + 5m/s = 15m/s [/itex]

So the acceleration of 1m/s^2 for 10 seconds always produces an increase in velocity of 10m/s from whichever speed it started at.

So an applied force of 6N can produce many different velocities depending on how much time the force of 6N is applied and the initial velocity.

However, it seems as though 5N will produce only 1 specific velocity, regardless of how much time 5N is applied because acceleration will be 0.

However the velocity might be different depending on the initial velocity. Previously, I was assuming there could only be one value for initial velocity, but now I realize that initial velocity can be any value. Thank you.
Excellent so far!
So now my thinking is like this, for example:

Suppose the 5kg block is at rest on the table with μk = .1 and for simplicity, suppose there is no static friction.

So if I apply a force ever so gently to the block and increase the applied force by 1N every 10 seconds, the block will accelerate. And once the applied force of 5N is reached, the block will begin to travel at a constant velocity. Let's call it V1.
The thing about kinetic friction is that it is constant so long as the block is moving, no matter the velocity. Postulating that there is no static friction when kinetic friction exists is problematical for the case where the block is not moving when a force less than the friction is first applied. In fact, for most real-life situations the coefficient of static friction almost always exceeds that of kinetic friction. Perhaps a better approach would be to presume that μs = μk.
Then, I make the block stationary again. I apply a force and increase the force at a faster rate, perhaps increasing by 1N every 5 seconds. The block will accelerate over this time and once I reach an applied force of 5N, the block will begin to travel at a constant velocity, but not the same constant velocity as V1, perhaps V2.

To stress the example, if the 5kg block starts at rest again, and I apply 1N for 100 seconds, then jump all the way to 5N in 1 second, then the block will be traveling at a constant velocity but at a different velocity than V1 and V2.

Would this be correct?
As you say, over time nearly any velocity is possible depending upon the force applied. In the current problem There is not enough information given to reach a specific value other than it will not differ from the initial velocity (even if it's 0 m/s).

What sort of answer is expected for this problem? Is it multiple choice, numerical, text, essay, something else?

Thank you gneill,

gneill said:
The thing about kinetic friction is that it is constant so long as the block is moving, no matter the velocity. Postulating that there is no static friction when kinetic friction exists is problematical for the case where the block is not moving when a force less than the friction is first applied. In fact, for most real-life situations the coefficient of static friction almost always exceeds that of kinetic friction. Perhaps a better approach would be to presume that μs = μk.
?

That makes sense. I'll definitely include static friction and for simplification, presume μs = μk. Plus, I just noticed, if 5N of applied force is net force = 0, then any applied force less than 5N would mean probably not even cause motion because the Net force would be in the opposite direction. Applied [ Force - Friction Force = Net Force] = [4N - 5N = -1N].

gneill said:
As you say, over time nearly any velocity is possible depending upon the force applied. In the current problem There is not enough information given to reach a specific value other than it will not differ from the initial velocity (even if it's 0 m/s).

What sort of answer is expected for this problem? Is it multiple choice, numerical, text, essay, something else?

I made up the question to continue learning about and understanding force, so maybe it's all of the above? :) And your advice on this question has lead to a new question: How to find the final velocity of an object given varying magnitudes of applied force over a period of time.

I wonder if by finding out the final velocity of an object after a force that changes over time is applied, then perhaps I will be able to determine the velocity of an object when it reaches equilibrium by making the final force applied be 5N.

Since this new question differs a bit from the original topic question for this thread, I'll post it as a new thread.

Thank you, gneill. Appreciate your guidance on these topics.

What is the formula for calculating the force of friction on a 5kg block with a force of 5N applied to it on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1?

The formula for calculating the force of friction is μk x m x g, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

How do you determine the direction of the force of friction on a 5kg block on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1?

The direction of the force of friction is always opposite to the direction of the object's motion. In this case, the force of friction will act in the direction opposite to the force of 5N applied to the block.

What factors affect the magnitude of the force of friction on a 5kg block on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1?

The magnitude of the force of friction depends on the coefficient of kinetic friction, the mass of the object, and the normal force exerted on the object by the surface. It also depends on the roughness of the surface and any other external forces acting on the object.

Is the force of friction affected by the speed of the 5kg block on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1?

Yes, the force of friction is affected by the speed of the block. As the speed increases, the force of friction also increases. This is because the faster the object moves, the more it interacts with the surface, resulting in a greater force of friction.

How does the force of friction on a 5kg block on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1 affect the acceleration of the block?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down. This means that the acceleration of the block will decrease as the force of friction increases. Eventually, the block will reach a point where the force of friction is equal to the applied force, resulting in a constant velocity.