1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with Power only using velocity and force

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object moving with a velocity whose components are [4m/s,-1m/s,3m/s] is acted on by a force whose components are [-5N,0,+5N]. What is the power of the energy transfer involved in this interaction?

2. Relevant equations
    Power=F*v

3. The attempt at a solution
    4m/s*-5N= -20W
    -1m/s*0=0W
    23m/s*5N=15W

(202+152+02)sqrt=Magnitude = 25W which could be the answer but I'm not sure. I just dont know how negative velocity affects power because P=Fv so if F is 5N and v=-3m/s then it would seem like -15W is the answer but im not sure. I also don't really have experience with 3-component vectors.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's OK up to here.

This treats the three amounts you have calculated as vectors, but they are not. Power is not a vector. So you don't square and add to get a magnitude. You just add.

Power is the scalar product (dot product) of force and velocity.

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your reply, that does make sense that Power isn't applied in a direction. So the answer is -5W

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted