Force of kinesin molecule within cells

In summary, kinesin molecules transport newly synthesized proteins along microtubules within cells. To accelerate an organelle with a mass of 0.028 pg from rest to 2.8 microm/s over a time of 45.0 micros, the kinesin molecule would need to exert a force of 1.87x10^-18m/s.
omc1

Homework Statement

Within cells, small organelles containing newly synthesized proteins are transported along microtubules by tiny molecular motors called kinesins. What force does a kinesin molecule need to deliver in order to accelerate an organelle having mass 0.028 pg from rest to 2.8 microm/s over a time of 45.0 micros?

Homework Equations

ft=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

i converted the micro to m and s, 2.8x10^-6 m/s and 2.8x10^-17 kg and 4.5x10^-5 s. for my answer i got 1.87x10^-18m/s but its wrong...thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The conversions look OK. I suppose you made a mistake in your calculations.

FAQ: Force of kinesin molecule within cells

1. What is kinesin and how does it function within cells?

Kinesin is a type of motor protein found in cells that is responsible for transporting cargo along microtubules. It works by using ATP energy to move along the microtubule, carrying its cargo to the desired location within the cell.

2. What is the role of force in the function of kinesin within cells?

The force produced by kinesin is essential for its function within cells. This force is used to propel the motor protein along the microtubule, allowing it to transport cargo to specific locations within the cell.

3. How is the force of kinesin measured within cells?

The force of kinesin can be measured using various techniques such as optical tweezers, laser trapping, and atomic force microscopy. These methods allow researchers to observe and measure the movement of kinesin molecules and the force they exert on the microtubule.

4. What factors affect the force production of kinesin within cells?

The force production of kinesin can be influenced by several factors such as the availability of ATP, the number of kinesin molecules present, and the properties of the microtubule, including its length and stiffness.

5. How does the force of kinesin compare to other motor proteins within cells?

The force of kinesin is relatively weak compared to other motor proteins such as myosin and dynein. However, kinesin is specifically designed for its role in transporting cargo within the cell, and its force production is sufficient for this function.

Back