1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on 3 current carrying wires

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two long fixed parallel wires, A and B, are 10cm apart in air and carry 40 A and 20 A, respectively, in opposite directions. Determine the resultant field (a) on a line midway between the wires parallel to them and (b) on a line 8.0 cm from wire A and 18cm from wire B (c) what is the force per meter on a third long wire, midway between A and B and in their plane, when it carries a current of 5.0A in the same direction as the current in A?

2. Relevant equations
    F=BILsin(angle)
    B= (2(10^7)I)/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I have solved part (a) and (b) i need help with (c) I have calculated the forces on them
    A on C = 1E-4 towards
    B on C = 2.2E-5 away

I tried to calculate it as though its on a straight line and also as though its making a triangle. for the triangle i used the angle ACB through the distances i have in cm. but it did not work.

Answers A) 2.4E-4T, B7.8E10-5T C 1.5E-3N/, toward A

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi jmr423! :smile:
    what angle? :confused:

they're all in the same plane :wink:

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    :S when i treat it as though its on a plane i get no where... i have tried a bunch of different things and nothing is working to solve c.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  5. Mar 31, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

show us what you've tried (in the same plane) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook