1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on current carrying conductor

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    I found this sentence in my textbook very confusing:

"...where k is constant of
    proportionality. If we follow SI units, the value of k is 1."
    Thus in
    SI units, F=kILBsin<theta>=ILBsin<theta>

Why is the value of k taken as 1 only because we're following the SI units???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2
    Set k = 1 allows you to define the Tesla in SI units. If a wire is carrying a current of 1 Amp and is 1 metre long and is orientated so the direction of current flow is 90 degrees to a magnetic field of 1 Telsa then the force acting on the wire will be 1N. The sin theta bit is for when the current or moving charge is at any other angle than 90 degree to the magnetic field direction.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Systems of units are set up to make the fundamental equations simpler. (SI Units are not the only system of units.)

You would agree, I trust, that if you measured the length in units of one-half meter (instead of the usual meter), you'd need to modify that force equation by choosing a different constant of proportionality? (k = 1/2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook