Force Problem: force direction and choice of sign for g

In summary, the force applied to an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration, according to the equation F=ma. When considering the force due to gravity acting on a ball with a mass of 40g, the choice of reference frame determines the sign of the force. It is valid to choose "down" as positive and "up" as negative, but once this choice is made, it must be consistently applied. Generally, the acceleration due to gravity (g) is taken to be a positive constant, and the appropriate sign is added based on the chosen reference frame.
unknown physicist

Homework Statement

The Force applied to an object is equal its mass times its acceleration Assume that the ball has a mass of 40g. What is the force due to gravity acting on the ball?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F=(.04)(-9.81)

I get a negative answer, does that mean that the force is negative? or should I change -9.81 to 9.81?

Physics news on Phys.org
unknown physicist said:
I get a negative answer, does that mean that the force is negative? or should I change -9.81 to 9.81?

Why do you think it matters?

PeroK said:
Why do you think it matters?
Because acceleration in the y dimension, is negative. It can't possibly be negative. So I think it should stay.

The choice of reference frame determines the signs of vector quantities measured in that reference frame. It's up to you to choose and specify a reference frame before beginning your calculations.

It's perfectly valid to choose "down" as being positive and "up" as negative if it is convenient for describing the problem that way. Of course, once you've made that choice you have to stick with the convention you've imposed.

Generally g is taken to be a positive constant and you tack on the required sign to suit your choice of reference frame when you write equations involving g.

Likes CWatters and PeroK
+1

You choose up as positive. If you get a negative answer for the force that means it's acting downwards. Which way did you expect the force of gravity to act :-)

1. What is the force direction in a force problem?

The force direction in a force problem refers to the direction in which a force is acting. This can be represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force.

2. How do I determine the force direction in a force problem?

The force direction is typically indicated in the problem statement or can be determined by the context of the problem. In some cases, it may be necessary to draw a free body diagram to determine the direction of the force.

3. Why is it important to choose the correct sign for g in a force problem?

The sign of g, which represents the acceleration due to gravity, is important because it determines the direction of the force of gravity. Choosing the wrong sign for g can result in incorrect calculations and solutions.

4. How do I know whether to use a positive or negative sign for g in a force problem?

The sign for g should match the direction of the force of gravity in the problem. If the force of gravity is acting downwards, then a negative sign should be used for g. If the force of gravity is acting upwards, then a positive sign should be used for g.

5. Can the force direction and sign for g change in a force problem?

Yes, the force direction and sign for g can change in a force problem depending on the situation. For example, if an object is thrown upwards and then falls back down, the force of gravity will change directions and the sign for g will also change.