Force produced by current carrying coil to move sludge(steel rod)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
rvb53
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
hi everyone,

I have a problem, if U see the photo I have coil which carries current of rectified ac waveform through it. I have sludge(Steel rod of weight 20#) which has to be moved till the centre of the coil.

If the current in coil induces magnetic field to sludge to move upward, then what will be the force with which th sludge is going to move and I need the lift (or) displacement from its initial position to final position.

If possible, I need the equation for the lift of the sludge and which should depend on the current which flows in the coil.

If anybody wants the value of the current, I can give it...
pls do help me...I am struck in this problem from many days...
 
Attachments
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 526
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I've never heard a solenoid called sludge before.
Where does that come from?

Anyway its complicated, so I suggest Googleing -> solenoid force
and doing some reading.
 
NoTime said:
Welcome to PF.
I've never heard a solenoid called sludge before.
Where does that come from?

Anyway its complicated, so I suggest Googleing -> solenoid force
and doing some reading.

I think it is a typo. It's typically called the armature, but the slang version is slug, not sludge.

CS
 
rvb53 said:
hi everyone,

I have a problem, if U see the photo I have coil which carries current of rectified ac waveform through it. I have sludge(Steel rod of weight 20#) which has to be moved till the centre of the coil.

If the current in coil induces magnetic field to sludge to move upward, then what will be the force with which th sludge is going to move and I need the lift (or) displacement from its initial position to final position.

If possible, I need the equation for the lift of the sludge and which should depend on the current which flows in the coil.

If anybody wants the value of the current, I can give it...
pls do help me...I am struck in this problem from many days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

CS
 
hi everyone,
thanx for replies.
buddies, I do not need what the rod is called as slug or sludge or rod.
I joined this forum in a sole mission of getting some help.
I need the equation for the lift of slug, which is going to depend on current in the coil + some losess. I do not know the force exerted or magnetic filed...
If U can help me that would be gr8 favor or favour...
 
rvb53 said:
hi everyone,
thanx for replies.
buddies, I do not need what the rod is called as slug or sludge or rod.
I joined this forum in a sole mission of getting some help.
I need the equation for the lift of slug, which is going to depend on current in the coil + some losess. I do not know the force exerted or magnetic filed...
If U can help me that would be gr8 favor or favour...

Give this a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

Hope this helps.

CS